Is a silver coin cleaned?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by alhas, May 18, 2008.

1. alhas

alhas Senior Member

I could not find a topic on our site which gives me "few hints" to tell if a silver coin is cleaned or not.

Please point me to a thread if this has been discussed before. I like to learn to tell the difference, if possible. Thanks!

Al

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I can't locate a good thread on the subject at the moment, but in the mean time...

There are a number of things to look for in order to try to determine if a coin has been cleaned or dipped (which is a form of cleaning, but which, if done properly, is acceptable to many people). For one thing, generally speaking, the older the type of coin involved, the more likely it has been cleaned it if is color/toning free.

Using quarters as an example.... Untoned/color-free Washington quarters haven't necessarily been dipped or cleaned - many original examples are still found, a number of them in rolls. If we go back in time to Standing Liberty quarters, the same can be said for them, but to a lesser extent. Now, go back a bit further to Barber Quarters - it is less likely that a color-free barber quarter hasn't been cleaned or dipped than it is for a Standing Liberty or Washington quarter. Next is Seated Liberty quarters and if you find a color-free example it is almost a given that it has been cleaned or dipped, though there might be a very small % of exceptions. When we get to a color-free Capped Bust quarter - chances are close to 100% that it has been cleaned or dipped.

Other things to look for... Often, due to over-dipping, a dipped coin will lose its original mint luster and exhibit dull surfaces. And sometimes not all of the toning comes off evenly. There might be splotchy and/or stained areas from where the toning used to be. Often a dipped coin will retain remnants of toning around the protected areas, such as around and/or within letters of the design.

Coins which have been cleaned by methods other than dipping might display unnaturally bright or shiny surfaces and/or hairlines from the cleaning. And the luster looks wrong/off. Many cleaned coins also re-tone in unnatural looking colors/appearances.

If you have images you'd like to post to get opinions on or any specific questions to ask, please feel free to do so.

4. alhas

alhas Senior Member

Hi Mark,

Thanks for an excellent description with clarity!

To some, "dipping a coin properly is acceptable." I believe, this only implies acetone?

I am in the market to purchase Morgans, Peace Dollars, Walking Liberties, etc., and I wanted to learn how to tell the difference. You have given me a place to start. Currently, I do not have any images to share.

Thanks, again!

5. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

My pleasure and glad I could be of some help.

Many people also use "Jewel luster" and or other means to dip or clean coins. By the way, in numerous cases it is impossible to know if a coin has actually been dipped or not and it's just a matter of making an educated guess based upon a number of factors. Other times, it is pretty easy to determine.

6. grizz

grizz numismatist

7. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

Dip is ok, for coin

If you want to move them QUICKLY... before Mr. Spot appears on surface. If problem surface then better to leave the problem than dip. Chemical reaction will take its toll... DO NOT dip/wipe/rub/ or in any manner expose coin to water. Coin can't swim, rubbing leaves whiz marks, wiping cause streaks. Goofs ruin numismatic values and collectors/dealers want buy goofy coins. :(OT

8. alhas

alhas Senior Member

Mark, grizz and ozarktravler,

Thanks for your kind response. I have to leave now but I surely will read the above article provided in the link above.

ozarktravler, I just happen to remember from several discussions before to "rinse the coin with distilled water after dipping in acetone! You indicate not to expose the coin to water. So distilled water must me different, chemically, than tap water, I guess.

Al

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, he means a commercial coin dip - a mild acid. And if a coin is dipped properly in this mild acid, you would never know the difference.

And yes distilled water is different than tap water and distilled water will not hurt your coins.

10. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Chuckle... Chuckle... Chuckle... ;) Carefully follow the advice from those who advocate and then those who don't. Pick an intelligent pleasant medium and enjoy life. Most who clean don't tell. Kinda like some other things, LOL...

11. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

you mean :kiss: and tell ;) tsk tsk bone

Draft saved Draft deleted