Is a 1974 Dollar Bill with a Printing ink smear on the back worth anything?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bcolins, Jul 22, 2009.

1. bcolins

bcolins New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum, my first post.

I have a dollar bill that has been in a drawer for years. Its a 1974 Federal reserve note. On the back there is a 3/8" by 1 1/2" smear of green ink across the right side of the bill. It is clearly original print ink.

Does this bill have any value either due to its age or the ink smear?

Thanks for any input.

Brian in Austin

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Brian...

Post a pic and I'll break out the ole error book and let ya know.

I would say yes, but I need to see the condition of the note!

RickieB

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

nice note! I dont know anythign about errors, so lets hope its worth a bunch :D

5. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

I haven't worked in a print shop for over 50 years, but I sure don't see the "original print ink". I know many people who would give you a buck for it, provided you didn't charge anything for shipping.

6. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

minor ink smear adds $25 in fine, $50 in EF anf $75 in CU to the value per 3rd edition of US paper money errors.

7. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

IF you find the right buyer and yes, that does look like an original ink smear.

I've bought more dramatic smears for as little as $10. Like I said it's a matter of finding the right buyer.

Nice note though and I'd keep it.

8. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

I am not an error expert by any means... I find it odd that the smear is isolated at the right rear of the note and seems to be moving up towards the seal.. Clembo any additional insight on this occurence?
    Most smears I have seen are located more in the middle of the paper...hey that does not mean that it could not happen, it very wel could!

The leading expert in the field of errors is Dr. Fed Bart, you can find him at www.executivecurrency.com

Cool note, I hope you get it qualified.

RickieB

9. RobLoJo

RobLoJo New Member

Hi I have a 20.00 dollar bill with a thin black ink smear down the forehead all the way down just below the bottom lip. What would this bill be worth, it's in good condition but it has a cold in it probably due to circulation. Robin

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Robin,
    This old thread is from 2009.. Most of the members on it are no longer on CoinTalk

Create your own unique separate thread with pictures!

11. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Oh, it's fine. Seeing old threads like these become active again brings up memories of the good old days- particularly of RickieB, may he rest in peace.

mpcusa and paddyman98 like this.
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

He,s for sure missed but will always be part of this forum :)
    R.I.P my dear friend.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted