Iran drops dollar from oil deals: report

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Yankee, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Major crude producer Iran has completely stopped carrying out its oil transactions in dollars, Oil Minister Gholam Hossein Nozari said on Saturday, labelling the greenback an "unreliable" currency.
    "At the moment selling oil in dollars has been completely halted, in line with the policy of selling crude in non-dollar currencies," Nozari was quoted as saying by the ISNA news agency.
    "The dollar is an unreliable currency, considering its devaluation and the oil exporters' losses," he added.
    The world's fourth largest oil exporter, Iran has massively reduced its dependence on the dollar over the past year in the face of US pressures on its financial system.
    The United States has successfully encouraged major European and Asian banks to cut their dealings with Iran in a bid to make the Islamic republic give way on its controversial nuclear programme.
    Washington has also blacklisted major Iranian banks for alleged support of terrorism and seeking nuclear weapons, charges denied by Tehran.
    Iran has reduced its assets in dollars held in foreign banks and urged OPEC to take collective action to price oil in other currencies such as the euro, instead of the US currency which is used across the world at present.
    The fall of the dollar, which has weakened considerably against the euro and other currencies in the past 12 months, has affected the revenues of OPEC members because most of them price and sell their oil exports in the US currencymarkets - after four days of losses risky assets rallied nicely overnight. (We also have a bizarre story from the UK Independent newspaper saying that Gulf states are talking with Europeans and the Chinese in order to denote oil sales) .http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Iran_drops_dollar_from_oil_deals_re_12082007.html

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

More old news, I remember reading about this in Ukraine awhile back this summer.

4. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

LOOK AT THE DATE! last saturday isn't "OLD NEWS"

5. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Ukraine news very advanced...uses time machine to report news months before it happens :)

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Iran, with China and Russia have been talking about dumping the dollar for quite sometime. This is nothing more than rehash of old talk.

7. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

I SEE now I understand LOL!

8. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

yeah, to be honest, the story is from December 8, 2007 ;)

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The news outlets, Reuters, AP etc love to pick up "news" commentaries from some underlings in Iran and China all the time about dissing dollars, building bombs etc. Frankly it is because Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan have been staying out of trouble, Britney is in conservatorship and there is nothing the media can do to stir up interests in the news based on the bimbos being cast out of it. So they revisit, rehash old stories.

10. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

While I am sure there is something to be said about your Bimbo theory (and I love a little bimbo bashing, they are such an easy target), I believe its just a case of an old story being posted by the OP of this thread. Even the comments for the story are from 2007.

Who am I kidding...I love bimbos :)

Draft saved Draft deleted