Interesting Japanese 5 yen off center hole

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by gxseries, Aug 8, 2009.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I remember going through a fair bit of Japanese 5 yen coins while I was in Japan but never have I come across a hole like this:

[​IMG]

Sure it might not seem to be major but considering how technical the Japan mint is as well as looking at the error coin market, Japanese error coins are quite rare.

Example of a typical 5 yen coin:

[​IMG]

Has anyone come across any 5 yen coins like this?

SlipperySocks likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

It's a new one on me! Great catch.

A few years ago I turned in about 5 kg. of circulating coins gathered over many years to my bank in Japan, including 1,000+ ¥5s. Aside from a few die cracks, which some folks consider "errors", I've never found a Japanese milled error.

4. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

The short time I was in Japan, I don't remember seeing these types of coins. Are they older or something new? Either way, nice find!:hug:

5. hontonai

The basic design (Y#72) was adopted in Showa 24 (1949). In Showa 34 (1959) the calligraphy of the reverse legend was changed (Y#72a). Upon the death of the Showa Emperor and ascension to the throne of the current Heisei Emperor (Heisei Gan) 1989 Y#96.1 was issued, with no design change other than the regnal name and date; followed by Y#96.2 bearing the Heisei date every year to and including Heisei 21 (2009).

Perhaps you didn't see any because of their small value - roughly 5.1¢ +/-.

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

jessash1976, 5 yen coins aren't rare or any sort but for some reason I didn't get much of them from change either while I was there.

I'm sure many Japanese coin collectors can tell you that Japanese error coins are nearly impossible to find. I was lucky enough to find a Meiji era 1 sen rotated error coin.

7. RitaD

RitaD Junior Member

Japanese 5 yen

HI, I have one of these 5 yen coins. I just got in out of the closet today and put it's description in a search box and immediately found your post. How do I find out how old a coin this is. Is it worth anything? I'm not a coin collector...just want to know if it's a keeper or not.
    Rita

8. hontonai

Either post a clear picture of the obverse - the side with characters all the way around - so one of us who reads Japanese dates can tell you what it is, or go to this site and date it yourself.
    It's probably worth less than 50¢, even in brilliant uncirculated condition. Of the 60+ years the basic design has been struck, only two exceed $10 in catalog value, and less than 20 exceed $1. In the highest grade of circulated coins, only Showa 32 (1957) - at $8 - is worth more than 60¢.

9. RitaD

RitaD Junior Member

Wow thanks. I went to the site to translate the symbols and made out some, but not all of them. There was a photo of a coin at this site that is either exactly like mine or a slightly different date. I'll find it again. It has a hole in the center a wheat on one side of the coin.There is a photo posted by gxseries, well actually 2 photos...one coin has the hole slightly off center and one is a good coin. Mine is centered. I found the symbols for 3, 10 and 8 from your site and the symbol for "year" and "japan" There are two symbols that look like a top-side view of a moth. I think they are just decorative though.Interesting Japanese 5 yen off center hole
    I remember going through a fair bit of Japanese 5 yen coins while I was in Japan but never have I come across a hole like this:

[​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.[​IMG]

Sure it might not seem to be major but considering how technical the Japan mint is as well as looking at the error coin market, Japanese error coins are quite rare.

[​IMG]Click this bar to view the small image.[​IMG]

[​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.[​IMG]

I guess it's not worth much. Do you want it?

10. hontonai

Rita, I'm not quite sure why you have copied the original pictures three times. Is your coin dated Showa 38 (1963) like the Y#72a non-error shown?

That year there were 171,800,000 ¥5 coins struck by the Japan Mint. Unless yours is in better condition than the one previously posted, it's worth face value (~5.1¢) in the pictured condition.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I never remember getting anything less than a 10 yen in circulation, but I was only in Tokyo. I do like the 500 yen coins, I saved one of them.

12. RitaD

RitaD Junior Member

Sorry, I didn't think that the photo was copying. My 5 yen is exactly like the one in the photo. Has the 3 + 10 + 8 characters. It's in good condition. I don't plan on going to Japan, so I probably won't ever use it.

13. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

That's an interesting off-center for a modern Japan coin. I have never seen anything remotely like that.

14. Jessi

Jessi New Member

I have the coin u have pictured as well as one other one that is also part of the japanese mint coin collection. I was woundering if they are worth anything and if so would you be able to tell me?

15. hontonai

There's a very high probability that whatever you have - and there is no way to tell from your "description" - is worth approximately face value -¥1 ~ 1.185 cents.

If you want any specific information, you'll just have to show us what you are talking about.

16. Anil R

Anil R New Member

17. Anil R

Anil R New Member

I am in possession of the rare Japanese 5 yen coin with hole. It is precious stuff.

18. Drago720

Drago720 New Member

I
    found a error coin too

Draft saved Draft deleted