Inherited some old bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jwevansv, Jul 13, 2006.

1. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

My great uncle passed away last year and he had given all his coins and bills to my aunt. I posted most of the coins on the coin forums and here I am now going to post the bills to the best of my ability.

My Great Uncle wrote the word Gold on the outer bank envelope but my dealer says they aren't true GOLD bills. I saw the difference in the two, but these still say Redeemable in gold on Demand. Can someone give me clarification on that?
    4- $100 1928's
    7- $50 1928's One of the $50's is a Star note G00001387 *
    3- $20 1928's
    2- $10 1928's

National Currency Federal Reserve Notes
    1- $100 1929 NY
    4- $20 1929 Ephrata, Penn - El Monte, Ca - NY - Birmginham, AL

Large Notes
    1 - $10
    1 - $10 Authorized by Federal Reserve Act of December 23, 1913
    1 - $1 Act of Aug. 4, 1886
    1 - $1 1923 Silver Certificate

Silver Certificates
    3 - $10 1934's
    10 - $5 1934's
    8 - $1 1934's 2 are sequential 31922077 and 78 and the other48802116 and 17

So, can anyone tell me what I have and if any of these are stand out bills? Most are in great condition and I put in individual bill sleeves.

I am taking the pics on my digital camera and resizing them for posting. I will add more as I get a chance. Here is the $50 Star note that Jackeen remarked about. I know I need better lighting and a tripod but this is the best for now.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

Sounds like a nice hoard of old bills, are they in good shape? You would need to post pictures of the bills for others to see to get an accurate assesment!!

4. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

Sorry Xeno, I plan on keeping them.

5. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

:thumb: you are a true collector!!!

6. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I've never been much of a note collector, but it sounds like a lot worth hanging onto, I'm sure anyone you'd decide to pass them down to would really appreciate it also. By the way...Welcome to the forum.

7. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

Federal Reserve Notes issued before 1933 were "redeemable in gold", but were not legally receipts for gold on deposit, as were Gold Certificates.

Many of your notes are interesting and potentially valuable, depending on condition. The 1928 $50 FRN star note is a standout, as is the sequence of uncirculated Series 1934 $1 SC. That was a one-year type.

8. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

I have a document scanner but not a flat bed scanner. Any suggestions on how to go about scanning them with a doc. feeder?

9. ajm229

ajm229 Lincoln Cent Collector

First tip: DO NOT PUT THEM THROUGH THE DOCUMENT FEEDER!

Second tip: Ask one of these other guys who know more about paper money's care for a second tip.

Thank you!
    ~AJM :goofer:

10. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

What was I thinking? LOL I will take them to get scanned.

11. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

I wonder if a place like STAPLES does scanning > digital image...

12. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

Here are the old big bills. If anyone would like me to take a pic of any of the others I had listed at start of thread let me know and I will be glad to show them off!

Attached Files:

13. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

More.

Attached Files:

14. crispy1995

crispy1995 Spending Toms like crazy**

That 50* has a fairly low SN.

15. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

Please more responses and info on what you can tell are conditions of some of these.

16. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

wow, those are fantastic!

17. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

The "ten" in the first series of images is in fact a one that has been doctored to pass for a ten.

18. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

i also think the large 10 dollar notein the 2nd set of pictures is worth quite alot

19. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

Hmmmm, are you saying I have a forgery or counterfeit bill? Is that worth more/less? I suppose that is why the words "One Silver Dollar" had been blackened out with a black marker under the Eagle? The numerals of 10 look good too. Anyone know anything else about this?

20. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

21. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

It is a genuine $1 note that was doctored to look like (and pass for) $10. It was probably done in the early 1900s. It certainly has some value as an artifact, perhaps more than what a normal 1899 $1 silver certificate in that condition would be worth.

The 1928 $50 star note is interesting. I don't know the value, but I would guess $75-$100 in that condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted