Inflation notes from Yugoslavia

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Daggarjon, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

I added a bunch of notes from the hyper-inflation period of 1993 today. They can all be found, along with others, by clicking this Yugoslavia link :)

I am still missing the 1 note with the most zeros, the 500,000,000,000 Dinara note - thats 500 Billion Dinara. It might not be the largest note ever printed, but it is the largest note printed by Yugoslavia during this troubled period, so it is still worth getting :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Luis

Luis Senior Member

Those are cool notes :D

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

5. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Awesome Notes Jon!
    now.... just to tempt you a little more.... Click here

6. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Thats cool snaz thanks. I dont think i'll pick that up though. At $24, the cost is mostly for the folder and inserts it comes with. The actual note is only worth a few bucks even in UNC. I wonder who made thos folders. Everything i see on them is the same stock photo. It shows the insides, but not the outside... somthign for me to poinder a while i guess lol. The Krause books put the value at $10. I might have to pick 1 up, before the note jumps in price :rolleyes:

7. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

I have this note... and for about 16 years it was the record holder for the most zeroes ever on a note (Hungary had higher nominal denominations than that, but they used words rather then printing out all the digits).

However, due to their recent hyperinflation, Zimbabwe has put out four notes that have beaten this note's record, with their recent 10, 20, 50, and 100 trillion dollar notes, all with the digits printed out.

Highest nominal denomination ever released still belongs to Hungary, with their note that in short form, was 10 quintillion (1 followed by 20 zeores, if they printed all the digits) pengo! They printed a note 10 times higher than that, but switched to the forint before it was released.

Back to the original subject, during this period Serbian Krajina, a short-lived unrecognized breakaway republic (consists of part of what is now Croatia) put out their Krajina dinar. Since it was fixed to the Yugoslav dinar at a 1:1 exchange rate, it had the same hyperinflated denominations, though the highest denominated note only reached 50 billion dinars.

8. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

cool info. I dont think i ever came across the Serbian Krajina in the krause books.. is it even listed? i dont think its by itself, but maybe listed within yugoslavia, or bosnia... or maybe even croatia?!?

I iwll have to look to see if i can find it, and then maybe some currency lol

9. kuhli

kuhli title not chosen

Daggarjon,

You have a Serbian Krajina note in your collection. You have it errantly listed as Bosnia/Serbian Republic P-146a. If you note the legend says "Narodna Banka Republike Srpske Krajine" Also the Croatia/Serbian Krajina notes are issued in Knin, while the Bosnia/Serbian Republic notes are issued in Banja Luka. (the first series of notes from both Croatia/Serbian Krajina and Bosnia/Serbian Republic are the same in color and size, as they were all printed and backed by the Belgrade government.)

BTW, in my 2001 Pick catalog, the Croatia/Serbian Krajina issues are listed under Croatia, all beginning with the "R" prefix for the catalog number. (R1-R34)

10. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

'KPAJNHE', i am guessing is "Krajine"? Not sure how i missed that when i attributed the pick number. Well, its set right now, and the note is now included on the Croatia page!

Many thanks for taking a look, and correcting my mistake :)

11. ilijav

ilijav Junior Member

Daggerjohn, 500.000.000.000 yugoslav paper banknote (it's either UNC or XF quality) is in the envelope and traveling to your town!:) Together with some Krajina notes, Bosnian Serb notes etc:) And a lot of Yugoslav inflation notes:)
    i'm sure you'll like the collection i've sent to you.
    Cheers
    Ilija

12. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Indeed cool...

One of these days I may just have to look into some World Notes!!

RickieB

13. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Thanks Ilija. Considering what we have talked about in PM's... i am quite looking forward to it :) Especially beacuse of this thread, i learned about the Krajina notes :D i get easily geeked lol

14. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

The bug is catching you :) There is alot out there for world notes my friend! Me, i love it because i can afford alot of it lol so for me, i go after most anything i find when i have the money to spend. But there are so many different designs, colors, themes, vingettes ect... i could go on forever :) but you already know... the bug has bit you :)

Welcome!

15. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Let's hope that there is no U.S. note to add to the collection someday.

16. earningonline

earningonline New Member

17. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

World notes realy are fun :D I'm with DJ on this one :thumb:

18. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Wikipedia has entries in color of the notes of the Yugoslav Inflation which I have found helpful inasmuch as my 2 vol. Pick & Pick-S dates from 1987.
    (For the cost of a newer Pick I could acquire a ton of dinars without visiting the blood Bank.)

Draft saved Draft deleted