Indian Heads

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Twiggs, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

A couple of my first buys :) The 1909 was graded VF and there was no grade on the 1888
    So what do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Nice additions Twiggs - LOL - I had better not comment on grades after the number of blunders I have made over the last couple of days. All I know is they are nice looking coins that would be a welcome addition to any collection...

Thanks for sharing :)

Darryl

4. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

I think the white flecks are just the scanner. Still trying to figure it out..lol

5. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I'd agree with the VF grade on the 1909. It may even be better. Look and see how many diamonds are visable on the lower band. The 1888 looks like a G. But, it may be an 1888/7, in which case, it's a really good find in any condition.

Great coins!
    Guy~

6. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

3 full and 1 is almost 1/2

and Liberty is still fully visible in his headband

I bought them for 3.00 each

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would say VF30 for the 1909 and G4 for the 1888. On the 1909 I would have to better pictures to see if it would stretch to XF40, but from the pictures I think VF30. Nice coins.

8. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

I would say VF-25 on the 1909 and G-4 on the 1888. As far as price goes, Numismedia lists 1909 in Very Fine at $7 and 1888 in Good at $1. Nice coins! Are you trying to put together a complete set of them?

9. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

heres some better pics of 1909

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

heres the 1888

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

In light of the better pics, I would have to say VF-30 on the 1909. Also, coins surface shows indications of a possible cleaning. But overall, nice eye appeal.

The 1888 is still a G-4 with original surfaces.

12. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

I popped the coins out of the cardboard slabs, and didnt brush/blow nothing. Cant see specks with naked eye, so not sure what it is.

I found a little shop with a very large bin of coin. These appeared in such good shape, I couldnt pass them up

13. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Sometimes those big bins of coins offer the best surprises. I once found a 45S Micro S merc dime EF in one for $1.00. Every time I find a coin store, the "junk bin" is always the first place I head for.
    Guy~

14. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

oh..he had LOTS of goodies but I had to rush. Definitely going back :)

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Don't be in too big a rush Twiggs. I'd say the '09 was severley corroded and then whizzed in an effort to remove the corrosion. The '88 appears harshly cleaned to me as well.

I'm going to give links to two dealers you can trust OK - you'll have no worries about getting cleaned or damaged coins without them telling you so in advance.

VT Coins - ask for Tim

Civitas Galleries - ask for Josh

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Twiggs:
    Don't feel bad, we all make mistakes, and are still learning.
    Think positive, it wasn't an expensive mistake.

Guy:
    I don't see any indication of the overdate, do you see some diagnostics that I am missing?

17. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

Why should she feel bad? That VF 1909 cent is worth her total purchase price of $6 on its own and that 1888 isn't too bad looking a coin either.

18. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

Quick tutorial if you don't mind. What do you see that indicates the harsh cleaning? Is it the appearance of vertical lines in the 1909?

19. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Treashunt.....I didn't see an overdate, I was just telling her she might want to see if it had one. From the pics it would be almost impossible to see.
    Guy~

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Phew, I thought that I had to go for another eye exam.
    Thanks for the note.
    Frank

21. NumisMatty

NumisMatty Numis-Matt-ist

Top one if F, bottom one is AF

Draft saved Draft deleted