Indentity and value of these two coins! Please help!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cole, Sep 26, 2005.

1. cole

cole New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sory for enormous pictures,but i`m such a newbie about this stuff. :( :confused: :eek:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Hi Cole and to the forum.

The absolute first step in downsizing photos is to crop out all that unnecessary space around the coin!

I'm on dial-up and after more than four minutes, I still can't see anything but the first coin and the top edge of the second.

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I tell you what Roy...I'm on dialup too but I have a thinging on my computer so that photos come up fast but not on the best quality...then if I want to see them better I push a key and Boom...it starts making them better...

I'll save these photos and then edit the post and post the smaller ones here in a few min...

Speedy

5. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

Hi Cole, Maybe this will help. I had nothing else to do at the moment.

Attached Files:

6. Speedy

Never mind Roy...even I can't get them.....
    This will be a all night job!

Speedy

7. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

Sorry Speedy, didn't mean to jump in there ahead of you.

8. Speedy

Don't worry about that...I didn't mean that you got them before I did...I mean I couldn't even save them on my computer...thanks for the photos...

Speedy

9. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Both coins are Austrian from the Reign of Franz Josef I. The top is a 1 Krone (or Corona), the bottom is a 2 Heller piece. From what I can find, maybe a couple dollars each, but I'll defer to folks with more experience than my brief Google search.

10. cole

cole New Member

Tnx for all your help with editing my pictures.

And also tnx for your informations about the coins ...

Couple dollars? damn,and i thought i was rich :D

Isn`t a 111 years old coin quite a lot? :)

I really don`t know anything about coins and such,I was just wondering how "rich" am I ;)

11. Speedy

I have a coin from 1792 that is only worth about $15 so that shows that the age has nothing to do with the value...you can also pick up some coins from the AD's and BC's for under $25

Speedy

12. sganjam

sganjam New Member

I think it also has a lot to do with the numbers in which they were minted. Coins from smaller countries that minted fewer in numbers are rarer so they end up being worth more. Most coins from the 1800s that are not silver or gold, are usually less than $5 (Real Value, not the inflated book value)

13. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Cole,
    Welcome to the forum!
    Here is the most extreme example of age vs. value in my own collection.Speedy is right,this coin is 2400 or so years old and I think I paid $20.00 for it.Apparently,thousands have been found. :(
    Looks like I can't spell "prancing" either :mad:

Attached Files:

14. cole

cole New Member

... yeah , I see it isn`t so simple .. all this coin collecting ...

now I consider my coin almost brand new,even it is 111 years old ;)

So the most important is,how many coins were made,and not how old are they .. am I right?

15. satootoko

satootoko Retired

If only it were that simple. :rolleyes:

Some of the factors (not necessarily in order of importance) that go into valuing a specific coin are:
    • Rarity, which includes not only how many were made, but how many survive in a particular state of preservation
    • Grade - a shorthand term for state of preservation and overall condition
    • Demand - whether the particular country, or series, is heavily or sparsely collected
    • Intrinsic or bullion value, which places a "floor" on the value of precious metal coins
    • Non-numismatic factors such as historical significance, depiction of a particular person or event, etc.

I'm sure others will add to this incomplete list.

16. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

There's a lot of factors at play when it comes down to market `value'.

Some of the factors inolved are (in no particular order):

1. What metal is used for the coin.
    2. When minted (and sometimes `why' in the case of a commemorative coin)
    3. How many coins were minted
    4. How many still exist
    5. What the `demand' for the coin is
    6. What the general condition of the coin in hand is.

For example, you could have a nice silver coin of Alexander the Great, some 2,350 years old. It could be in remarkably good condition too. It might still not be worth any more than a few hundred dollars due to the vast quantities of these coins that were produced and have survived down to present day. Old does not necessarily = `valuable'. On the other hand you might look at your pocket change one day and find a Lincoln cent dated 1909 with an `S' mint mark at the date and with the designers initials VDB on the reverse at the rim. Yes...chance WOULD be a fine thing!!, because if it was genuine, you would be looking at anything from $ a couple of hundred $'s even in pretty beat up condition, up to $1,500+.

Why so much for a humble `penny'? Well, for a start there were only 484,000 minted at San Fransico that year for that type (Initials at rim). The demand for them is HIGH because people who collect cents don't want gaps in their collections, and there aren't enough of these surviving the years to go around. Hence strong demand = high value....even though it is only a small bronze coin.

Your coins were produced in significant quantity and not that long ago in numissmatic terms. A large portion of the original mintage have survived which is more than enough to satisfy the weak collector demand for them. Hence value is fairly low.

Hope that helps.

Ian

17. cole

cole New Member

... omg omg :D

complicated .. a lot! :D

I think i`ll skip coin collecting,and play basketball instead ;)

tnx for all your help again :)

18. sganjam

sganjam New Member

Same deal with Nazi era coins, Most are worth a lot more than the Weimar Republic coins that predate them, just because people want a peice of world war 2 history. Its all based on demand. American coins in general are worth more than coins from say Mozambique, just because there are more collectors interested in American coins.

19. dopeuser

dopeuser Senior Member

I got that same coin with the "2" on it, and it's also from 1894.
    I did some quick googling a few weeks ago and figured it was
    a '2 Pfenning' from Germany, but now with some more googling,
    it is also a '2 Heller' from Austria. The Austria one I think is right, but
    you can clearly find the same coin listed under the 2 names in a google
    image search, or even on ebay.
    Either way, the info your probably more interested in, what is it worth?
    I found 2 on ebay, one is $1.00, and the other was $3.00, and neither has any bids.
    I bought mine from a coin store a few weeks ago, its in good condition,
    and I paid 20 Cents Canadian for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted