IMF to sell all their gold soon

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Yankee, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

The article doesn't say the IMF will sell "all" of their gold. It says they are seeking permission to sell some of it, about 13million ounces, which is virtually nothing. The rest is speculation and your thread title is incorrect. Even if the IMF sold "all" of their gold, it would be a temporary one time event. It would also probably help the future gold price because it would eliminate the one remaining gold hoard overhanging the market.

4. chasva69

chasva69 Member

doesn't a lil place like Ft. Knox constitute a potential hoard overghanging the market? China, India & Russia have lots too. Probably others as well. Any of these govts can dump gold on the world market if the price gets high enough, no?

P.S. just saw this after sending the above. The IMF does have the third largest gold reserves in the world. http://www.coinlink.com/Articles/top-ten/the-top-ten-largest-gold-reserves-in-bullion/

5. Cloudsweeper99

I would say no. If anything, central banks are beginning to accumulate gold on balance. Why would Russia and China sell gold? To accumulate US dollars? That doesn't seem likely. Ft. Knox hasn't been audited for decades, and it isn't clear if there is any gold there or who owns it even if it is there. Germany recently requested the return of all gold held on account in the US. The days of the major gold sales seem like they are ending.

6. chasva69

chasva69 Member

For the same reason any other seller would: to capitalize on high gold prices. What that price is I dunno, maybe $1200-1300 an oz. would draw alot of sellers. Why would they do this? Well perhaps they don't think Armageddon is right around the corner like some people do. Gold is a cyclical commodity. It goes up; it goes down. Up may be the near term direction, but that may be short lived. Many of these smart central bankers have been through these cycles before.

7. chasva69

chasva69 Member

8. Cloudsweeper99

Central bankers, of all people, know what can happen to countries with insufficient reserves [e.g., Argentina]. When most currencies around the world are losing purchasing power, central bankers will resort to the time honored tradition of holding gold. I'm sure China is happier with their gold holdings than their dollar holdings. The higher the price goes, the more they need to hold onto it as the only port in the storm of currency devaluations all over the world.

Time will tell.

9. Morgan1878

Morgan1878 For A Few Dollars More..

China has doubled gold holdings since 2003.....

10. Morgan1878

Morgan1878 For A Few Dollars More..

Central bankers are interested in much bigger issues than profiting on gold. Their main focus is the overall health of the particular economy they are empowered to safeguard. Money supply, interest rates, the orderly functioning of credit markets would be their priorities in most business cycles.

Gold prices would only interest them if they felt it was a threat to the overall health of the economy..a bubble for instance like the latest debacle that occurred in the real estate market.

11. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

china should be able to buy all the i m f gold. i don't think i m f going to sell it.

Draft saved Draft deleted