Illinois coin shows

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Just Carl, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I usually don't make to many coin show reports since we have 4 a Month now within 15 miles of my house and I go to most of them so that would mean a report every week. This show is nothing special but is rather one of the larger ones of the others in this area. I sometimes wonder if there is just to many now. I was told by some dealers they will not be at the Itasca, Il. show next Sunday due to the bigger show in Rockford, Il. Others will be at the Tinley Park, Il. 3 day show that same weekend. 3 coin shows the same weekend and all in basically the same area of Nothern Illinois.
    Meanwhile back to the one I just went to in a place called Countryside, Il. As usual about 70 or more dealers. Not sure since I don't count dealers. Some of the very regular dealers at this show know me so give me some great deals. This was my Birthday weekend and I made sure I mentioned this to dealers when looking at some coins and mentioned I was looking for some Birthday deals. It worked since I got most coins I was looking for, for a real decent price.
    I wondered around for about two hours and then started to purchase coins I had looked at before. A little variety of Lincolns Cents, a few Buffalo Nickels, one Standing Liberty Quarter, One Large Cent and few Mercury Dimes. Most in MS grades and none in slabs.
    I purchased one Lincoln Cent, 1919S in possibly MS64 for only $1 simce it was labled Cleaned and had a small dark spot on the reverse. This is for my usual attempts at reverse cleaning by leaving on a kitchen window. First to try to get that dark spot off with many different substances.
    One dealer I know told me a long time ago he purchases most of his inventory by the folder or Albums. He then takes all coins out and places in flips for individual selling at shows. He then thows out the folders and Albums so I asked if I could have them instead. Seveal times in the past I got several of them free and once over 40 of them, some Dansco, Whitman, etc. Yesterday he gave me about 50 folders and Albums and again, all free. About 15 or more were folders for the State Quarters, many for Canadian Cents and just a large variety of others. Mainly the Whitman Albums were for what I wanted so as usual, I give the rest to people I know that sell at flea markets.
    So if you go to coin shows frequently and get to know some dealers a little, you may want to ask them what they do with used folders and Albums.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siwash

Siwash Senior Member

JC: thanks for the note. I'm about 100 miles from the countryside show; maybe 80. I'd like to get to Rockford or the Illinois NA show. But my weekends are pretty confused right now, so I just don't know.

I enjoyed a Sunday coin show in East Peoria last spring. Very pleasant deal; just the right size---not too small, not too large; bought a medal from a St. Louis dealer that was there.

4. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Those usually are the best ones. When to large, the dealers think there will be a fantastic amount of buyers, so they usually raise the prices. If to small, not enough compitition so again, prices are not the best.

5. NetJohn

NetJohn Mintage Nut & $1 Stars

Got any more info on that Rockford show? I can get to Rockford in about an hour....

John

6. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

If you go to Google and type in Rockford Illinois coin shows you will get a lot of info on the Monthly ones and the larger ones like the one coming up on the 20th. All that free stuff makes me want to go.

COIN SHOWS:
    have two coin shows annually (Free Door prizes and Free Admission), each featuring about 55 tables of coin dealers:

September 20, 2009 106th Semi-Annual Show, Hoffman House - Holiday Inn, Rockford, Hours: 9am-4pm. Exit I-90 west at State Street, first light turn right/north. Park on the west side, enter at 'Banquet' south-west corner entrance.

7. Siwash

Siwash Senior Member

I'll see what I can do. My anniversary's the night before, and my kid's birthday is today, so we have all these arrangements hanging. I'll buy you coffee if you're there.

8. biggiej

biggiej Member

I am also going to try, I live about 60 miles south of rockford and used to be the corporate quality manager for a company and the Rockford plant was one of my plants. My problem is that I will have to try and rent a wheeel chair and have my buddy take me, as I cannot get around something like that on my own. I can get around the house and get to the car but that is about it anymore.
    i have a friend who helps me alot since when he was down and out and lost his farm, I gave him a job at one of the manufacturing plants that I ran. Now that I am disabled he kind of takes me to places that I want to go. I am going to see if we can't make the Rockford show. Thanks for the info. :bow::bow:

9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

I didn't know the Rockford show was this Sunday. I went to the one last winter. It was busy as hell. Maybe I'll have to get over there Sunday. Who's all planning to be there?

I was saving up for the Dubuque show in October but it might be nice to go to this one and see what prices are looking like these days. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: JC, how did you find out about this one? It's not showing up on the coinshows.com website. Pretty bad since that's the first one that comes up in a google search.

Never mind. Found it on the club website.

10. chip

chip Novice collector

I will probably drop in, I have work saturday, and saturday afternoon we are drywalling a bedroom ceiling, from what I have read the first coin show it is best not to take any money, so you look and learn more than buy and cry later, plus the bears dont play till three. So it is looking good for now, I just hope my drywall helpers do not try to reschedule the ceiling till sunday.

11. Siwash

Siwash Senior Member

Chip, you and I will have to trade notes. I'm drywalling our stairway: first time I've tried this stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted