Illegal strike at Pilanesberg Plats mine

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Yankee, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Illegal strike at Pilanesberg Plats mine

Business Day Online and Sens Published: 2009/08/13 08:19:07 AM

Platmin Limited has reported that mining activities at the company's Pilanesberg Platinum Mine have been interrupted following the dismissal of approximately 500 employees of MCC Contracts Limited. MCC is the mining contractor engaged by Platmin to manage the open-cast mining activities at PPM.

The dismissal follows strike action that is illegal under South African labour legislation, and the subsequent failure of the employees of MCC to return to work, despite the implementation of regulatory labour relations processes. Platmin is working with MCC and the relevant parties to resolve the situation, and recommence mining activities as soon as practicable.

Platmin is a mineral exploration, development and operating company engaged in the exploration for, Platinum Group Element deposits in South Africa. The Company has developed the Pilanesberg Project into the Pilanesberg Platinum Mine and is exploring for PGE's on its other three key projects including Mphahlele, Grootboom and Loskop. All of Platmin's projects are located in the Bushveld Complex which is estimated to contain approximately 90% of global platinum mineral resources. http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx?id=78417

Draft saved Draft deleted