Identity help

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jess, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Jess

Jess Senior Member

Hi All,
    I have been away way to long, however, I am back. Quick question for all of you knowledable coin gurus and guruesses out there. I have a love token made from a foreign copper coin about the size of a US 5 cent piece. The obverse has 4 initials carved in it and nothing else the reverse has a a 1 with a curved slash then a curved dash with a beaded rim no other identifying marks or insignia. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A2J jess

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Sounds like it's either middle east or far east in origin. if you could post an image of the reverse it would probably enable attribution.

Ian

4. Jess

Jess Senior Member

Here is a scan, my curiousity is immense.

Attached Files:

5. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Whatever else it may be it is certainly not a coin. Perhaps a machine token of some kind.

The symbols look like those used to depict a shilling (UK and British Commonwealth denomination) which was commonly scribed as `1/-'.

As such, my best guess is that it's a British machine (gaming) token of somekind or another.

Ian

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Ian - do you actually see that on the posted picture, or did you save and photoshop it? All I see is a dark circle.

7. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

You should be able to have it enlarged on your browser. I agree on 1s token.

8. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Hi Roy

:) I did indeed toy about with the image to enlarge it and brighten it up a bit in order to identify what it was. I use a free downloadable programme called Irfanview for this. It takes seconds to do and i'm ussed to having to do this quite a lot when viewing items on ebay.

Ian.

9. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jess,can you please post a bigger photo? It would make it easier to identify the piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted