ICG SP69 Westward journey coin set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CoinSwede, Jun 19, 2005.

1. CoinSwede

CoinSwede New Member

So the designation for the satin finish coins is "SP" (Special Process) according to ICG...
    Just saw a 6-coin set (nickels and dollar coins from mint set) grader SP69 for sale on HSN.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. youngcollector

youngcollector U.S. coin collecter

I just saw that to (I love laughing at the prices on HSN) do you think the SP coins are coin to clime in value I personally like the buisness strike coins better

4. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

5. kiyardo

kiyardo Senior Member

SP stand for "Speciman" The Canadian Mint has been doing this for years. I don't know why they din't use the initials SF for Satin Finish. I've lost faith in ICG as a grading company after I ordered and sent back several PF70 Westward Journey Nickels HSN sold me.

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I have also sent back two ICG coins rated a 70 because in my opinion, they were not. If I could see a flaw, a professional surely could or should have. I don't know why they are mentioned along with PCGS, NGC and ANACS as one of the four best TPGs. Maybe I just had an unlucky experience. Do the people here still believe ICG coins are worth buying?

7. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

As many are fond of saying here, "buy they coin not the holder".

8. kiyardo

kiyardo Senior Member

Even after I sent my coins back for replacement, they came back and there were still marks on them. Supposedly the President of ICG Keith Love personally inspects every 70 that comes through there. I would have thought that they would have caught these gross imperfections. I've lost faith in ICG totally. They do have the nicest looking holders though. I give 'em that.

9. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

ICG is very tough on coins graded MS65 and below. For those above 65, they are more liberal.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I might phrase that a bit differently Midas - but I agree with the general idea.

I would say that ICG is more liberal with modern coins when it comes to grades. With older coins - they are on par with the others. And for some very much older coins - I think they are even tougher than the others.

11. kobybichon

kobybichon New Member

So where else can you get the SP coins

12. GDJMSP

Howdy kobybichon - Welcome to the Forum !!

I'm not sure what you mean by your question. Do you mean where can you get the satin finish mint sets or where can you get coins with the SP designation ?

13. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

OK, let me re phrase, Is ICG a good, reputable grading service? thx

14. GDJMSP

In my opinion yes they are. But with modern coins, they do have looser or more liberal grading standards. They will grade coins as MS or PF70 that NGC, PCGS & ANACS will grade as 69's. Some folks even think that ICG grades 1 point too high across the board. Personally I do not except when it comes to the 70 grade.

So the answer to your question depends on the coin being graded. For as I said previously, with older coins ICG can be tougher and more conservative in regard to grading than either NGC, PCGS or ANACS.

In my opinion too many people don't give ICG the credit they deserve because of the way ICG grades moderns.

15. kobybichon

kobybichon New Member

Where did HSN get the SP coins to sell. Looking on the U.S. Mint site, I couldn't find any of what HSN was selling on the mint site.

16. Spider

Spider ~

ditto
    They broke open mint sets and sold those

17. I Palindrome I

I Palindrome I Senior Member

In a word, no.

18. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well I would diagree.

ICG is alright...in fact I would trust them with any coin except Modern coins which they tend to over grade.

Also with the new grader they just got it should help a great deal....he is one of the best graders I know.

Speedy

19. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Speedy
    The implication in your post that the new grader will help a great deal, would make me believe that they need a great deal of help ?

Where do you draw the line on Modern coins ? some folks draw that line at 1964, when the silver coins were removed from circulation, others draw the line at 1804 , some draw the line at when the presidents were put on the coin,, just wondering where you draw the line at ?

seems to me that a grading company ought to be able to grade within there own standards across the board, and a PR or MS 70 coin should not have marks of any kind !!!

Rick

20. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I do think that they need some help on Modern coins..I draw the line at 1964...yes I still buy coins after that but they must either be for resell or in completing a collection.

ICG seems to grade a good many coins MS/PF70...now I'm one that doesn't think there is such a thing...every coin will have marks of some kind or it might be struck as
    good as the other....but there again...even if there are some MS/PF70...I don't think there are as many as ICG says there are...and I know collectors that would agree with me.

a few collectors have even asked the President on ICG about this and he even said that they tend to grade higher on the Post 64 coins.

So yes...I think this new grader will help a lot....he never seemed to over grade anything that I ever saw...it was always right on the dot.

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted