I think I've been thinking about coins too much...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Billy Kingsley, Jan 7, 2010.

1. ...because earlier today, I noticed that the label on the spoon I was eating breakfast with was showing itself to be a doubled die! :goofer:

I should note, the spoon I noticed this on has been in my family since before I was born. None of us really like them due to the size so they aren't used very often. But still, I've been looking at these spoons for more then 20 years and didn't notice that before.

If I hadn't become a coin collector, and started looking for stuff like that, I would probably never have noticed, for one, and even if I had, not known how it happened or probably even cared.

Just an example of one little way that coin collecting has not affected my world outside coins...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

May be time for new glasses.

Every time I look at anything too long I start seeing ddoouubbllee.

4. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Coin collecting, like many hobbies, can create wierd things in your habbits. For example if you see a coin on the ground, instead of thinking something like OH, wow, found money, you now say OH nuts only a Memorial Cent. Sure wish it was a Wheat Back. Your in a bar with friends and constantly watch what change the bartender puts down instead of that lady a few stools down smiling at you. Your in a store at the open cash register and instead of what is happening to your groceries, your trying to see what coins are in that register. You just paid for something in a store and now hold up everyone while you check out the change you just got. You constantly bug freinds, neighbors and relatives to see if they have an old jar of coins somewhere.
    Ever notice prior to coin collecting you never were like that?

5. Oh Yeah, I am always looking into cash registers...I think they are afraid I am going to rob them sometimes...LOL.

I wouldn't know about the bar thing, I've never been in one...

Absolutely right though, it makes you think differently!

6. Space 4 Rent

Space 4 Rent Uber-Collector

I am constantly scanning the Give-A-Penny, Take-A-Penny trays at the registers looking for 'initeresting' copper.

I also have a glass that I use for my evening beverage that has a 'D' etched on the bottom of the glass (probably the manufacture mark) and I always refer to it as my Denver Mint glass.

7. I've actually found three wheats in the take a penny trays. I found two in one place. The same store, the same transaction, I recieved my first Star Note in change. I still have all three...and I left a dime in the take a penny tray. It's all I had...

I've also found a wheat on the floor in my local Target...

8. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Mr. Fivas actually was putting together a collection of

Mr. Fivas actually was putting together a collection of items other than coins with doubled dies a few years back.

9. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I have to say., this post makes me think of something related to my line of work. I've been in auto repair for almost twenty years. When someone gets a new car with an obvious flaw in it, they are steaming mad. It goes back to the dealership for immediate attention. If we recieve a defective part for an automobile, it goes back... sometimes with a nasty note. Now coin collectors on the other hand, will pay premiums for this kind of stuff. Sometimes thousands of times over face value or more! Maybe that's why some individuals think coin collecting is foolish, and collectors are in a world of their own. I say let 'em think that!

10. playboy_nbr1

playboy_nbr1 Junior Member

maybe you can sell it to a spoon collector as a rarity. lol

11. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

I'm a manager at a grocery store and i see a lot of change. I look through EVERY till i count down and the cashiers keep an eye out for me too. I've found about 150 wheats in the past year and a half. One was on the ground in six flags over georgia. I found a 1922 (i think because the date was worn) standing liberty quarter the other day. You'd be surprised what people spend. Like a 1934 $20......

12. Quartertapper, I hear you on the car thing. I've been around cars my whole life...I don't know why so many people are like that. On the scale they are working with, not everything will be perfect.

My brother takes his car back to the dealership when something goes wrong, but that's because it's still under warranty...so he doesn't have to pay for it. Our daily family driver probably couldn't even be serviced by the local dealership, as it's a 1994 Jeep, and they probably don't see many of them anymore. Our last vehicle, before the Jeep, would loose parts when you hit a bump in the road...No joke!

I think we will Keep it, I doubt my mom would sell them, LOL

Keep those eyes open Lincolncent! You've found some pretty cool stuff already, never know what will turn up :)

Draft saved Draft deleted