I need help grading these Portuguese coins please

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bluegill, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Bluegill

Bluegill Senior Member

I'm helping my Uncle, who was given a bunch of coins by his uncle back in the '50s and '60s when he had polio. I've been cataloging them. They are beautiful coins, and are a fantastic sampling of low-denomination coins from around the world from that time. Most show very little wear, but the values listed for them in Krause for just about all of them are below a dollar. Still, they are wonderful to look at.

There are a few coins I'm still puzzling over in one way or another.

One of my reference books lists both these coins as valued at $.50 in VF and at $20.00 in XF. I know that book values don't mean an awful lot, but that's a big jump. So my questions are: why the big jump in price? and, what grade do you think these two specimens are?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the best photos I have right now, but they might be good enough for you to give a reasonable guess. I'm trying to grade conservatively; these have obviously been handled a fair amount, but I feel like the details are sharp enough that they might pass for XF. Unfortunately, I don't have any high-grade 2 1/2 escudos to which to compare them.

Thanks a lot

Bluegill

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

you have hit the nail on the head they might pass for XF personally i would grade them about 30-35 the ramparts have lost too much detail imo although it can get overlooked

4. rick

rick Coin Collector

I always question these significant price jumps in circulated grades in Krause. It's nice for book value, but I think they tend to be unrealistic in the market.

Draft saved Draft deleted