I know it's only bullion.....

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Becky, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Becky

Becky Darkslider

but it is such pretty bullion:) I don't know why, but this design captivates me.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stelarjohnny

stelarjohnny New Member

nice

Beutiful coins,they look like mexican commenartives,correct? May i ask what you payed for them?

4. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Well Helvetia is Swiss, the cross is a Swiss Cross, and the mountain is Matterhorn.
    But I never saw that coin before.
    You have to tell us more Becky.

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Simply gorgeous, thanks for posting pictures :)

Take Care
    Ben

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not a coin but a bullion piece. Yet very nice!

The seated Helvetia, in a slightly different position (arm stretched out), can be found on various Swiss coins such as the 0.5 to 5 fr pieces from the mid-19c. The Matterhorn/Cervin was also depicted on two 2004 commems, one bimetallic, one silver ...

Christian

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree Becky - I love it !!

8. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Wonderful Becky.

Some of the current bullion issues are quite nice.

9. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Excellent design, especially the Matterhorn. Thanks for sharing

10. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Becky,you will find these listed - in Krause's 'Unusual World Coins',that is!

Aidan.

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Becky,did you look up those Swiss bullion medal-coins yet?

Aidan.

12. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

I never seen this coin before Aidan and do not have the book you speak of.
    Is this indeed produced by the Swiss for I do not recognize the unze, to me it looks southern african.

13. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Andy,the word 'Unze' (or plural; 'Unzen' ) is definitely the German word for 'Ounce'.You can report these to Tom Michael at Tom.Michael@fwpubs.com .

Aidan.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Right, and a piece from Southern Africa would not say "Helvetia" either. :D While I cannot really "decipher" the sign on the Matterhorn side (bottom left) of those medals, it looks similar to the Argor-Heraeus logo ...

Christian

15. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Christian,the only pieces from southern Africa that are inscribed 'Unze' & 'Unzen' are from Namibia.These were issued in 1987 to commemorate the German Rider statue.They're listed in Krause's 'Unusual World Coins'.

The name 'Helvetia' is actually Latin,as Switzerland has 4 official languages - French,Swiss-German,Italian (spoken in the Canton of Ticino),& Romansch (spoken in the Canton of Graubunden).

Aidan.

16. Becky

Becky Darkslider

The silver is KM #XMB14b, 2500 minted, proof piefort.

The gold is KM #X-MB13, 9800 minted.

There are also 1/10, 1/4, 1, and 12 ounce examples of these 1 year type gold proofs. They produced far more gold than silver.

17. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Nambia, thanks Aidan I thought I saw those the word unze before didn't know it was a german word as well.

18. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Don't know how many people in Namibia speak German. But it's certainly not an official language there ...

Christian

20. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Christian,more people in Namibia speak German than English,but the most common language that is spoken is Afrikaans.

Here's another article,this time,numismatically-related; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namibian_dollar .

Aidan.

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, I've always found it a little strange that English, while being a "minority language", is the only official language in Namibia. But maybe German and Afrikaans are connected to the colonial past too much. Anyway, thanks for that Namibian dollar link. I had no idea that the "mark" was seriously taken into consideration when they picked a name for their currency.

And back to Switzerland ... :) What I don't quite understand is why those bullion rounds would be listed as coins (albeit "Unusual Coins"). They do not have a face value and (AFAIK) have never been legal tender ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted