I hit the silver bonanza

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by silver surfer, Apr 27, 2007.

1. silver surfer

silver surfer Senior Member

Hey guy's I’ve been on cloud nine all day.
    This morning I took my accumulation of Lincoln cents (from roll searching) to the coin star machine at Albertson’s.
    Turned out I had about $120 after the 9% coin star fee so I did a little grocery shopping.
    The Bank of America has a small sub branch in the store and on my way out I decided to give it a shot and see if the had any Half dollar rolls.
    At first the teller gave me the expected response (no, maybe a couple of loose ones, let me check)
    She asked another teller if she had any and that women started to shake her head when I saw a light bulb go off over it.
    So this second teller say's "yes I do have $60 worth that somebody turned in 3 months ago” do you want them all?
    She goes on "nobody wants these (several times), thanks for taking them off my hands"etc.
    When I got home and looked at the top coin in the first roll, bingo a 64 JFK and it just got better from there.

53-90% JFK
    47-FRANKLIN
    6-Walking libs
    14- 40%JFK
    37s-1
    41 –1
    42 –2
    43s-1
    43 -1
    51s-2
    52d-3
    52 s-1
    52 – 1
    54s-1
    54d-2
    57d-6
    58d-4
    59d-3
    60d-5
    61d-2
    61 –1
    62d-11
    62 –1
    63d-4
    64 –53
    65-69-14
    All silver i'm happy

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Quick!!! Someone call the Cops???? We have a bank robber on our hands!!!

Nice Hit ...Gotta love that!!!

RickieB

4. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

That's quite the haul! it pays to be persistent when looking for silver halves. Most of the banks I go to never have them.

5. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

6. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

That has got to be the best bank haul since Jesse James.

7. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

What a haul! :high5: $542 worth of silver at today's prices for 60 bucks spent (not to mention any nusmatic value that some of those coins may have. Congrats! Heading to the local banks tomorrow myself! :thumb:

8. Art

Art Numismatist?

Fantastic.......Congratulations.

9. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

wow, great find!!!

10. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Man, what a haul! You should go back a purchase as many Quarter, Dime, Nickel and Cent rolls that you can afford. With odds like that, who knows what you might come across in some of the rolls! Maybe a 1916-D Mercury Dime, a 1909-S VDB Cent or maybe a 1914/3 Buffalo Nickel.

Congratulations and good luck on your next visit to the Bank!

Frank

11. Danr

Danr Numismatist

12. silver surfer

I know:high5:

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

that does it i am going to the bank tomorrow to get some halves. The problem is most dont want to deal with me :) but wiht odds like that ill take my chances congratulations on a great catch :D

14. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

WOW! Awesome! That is really cool. What are you going to do with it all? Very cool.
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

15. skm06

skm06 Member

Sweet :thumb: :smile

16. Topher

Topher New Member

That does it, I'm driving to the US to get some halves. Up north here, the banks won't even get the nickel half dollars (I'm still trying to complete a set of those before aiming for silver!) I've hit up 5 banks, and managed to get 3 nickel half dollars, all the same year, and one I already had anyway! :(

17. anthony

anthony New Member

I sold a 1921 walking liberty for a couplpe hundred so check the grey sheets on those suckers!!!!

nice hit...

18. onecenter

onecenter Member

What a wonderful find and a great picture! It is truly exciting to hit a little "Comstock lode."

When I was in the banking industry almost 20 years ago, I once happened to obtain 72 Kennedy halves, six 1964s and 66 silver clads from 1965-1969 at the bank branch I was working in that day in Troy, NY. That is the best silver find I encountered.

I did have competitors when it came to searching for coins in the Capital District of upstate New York. I regularly had a customer who visited nearly all of the bank branches in the region for half dollars. In about a 4-year timespan, he found $8800 worth of silver, mostly halves, the profit from the sale was enough for him to buy a very good used car.

There was a report in ANA's The Numismatist back some 20 years ago about a man who slowly cleaned out a bank vault in a small town in Colorado. Over time he found more than 2200 90% silver halves literally gathering dust in the deepest regions of the coin storage. Kennedy, Franklin and Walking Liberty halves were aplenty, emphasis, if I remember correctly, on Franklins.

When I started collecting coins at age 9, Canadian silver was still quite plentiful in the early 1970s and could found regularly in circulation in upstate New York. I received many Canadian 10-cent and 25-cent pieces in change, but only one 50-cent piece (1953) and one $1 coin (1963) in my first 25 years of collecting. A drug store in a VERY small town where I grew up kept a jar full of Canadian silver under the counter. My mother bought it for me (Can $52.00 face) as a Christmas gift back in 1973.

The "good stuff" is out there!

Mark
    Coral Springs, FL

19. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

20. BWJR

BWJR Senior Member

Silver Express

Not bad, about $600.00 in coins for $60.00.

BWJR

21. silver surfer

Not sure yet but I’m considering trading to one of the local coin shops for some gold.
    Does anyone know what dealers are offering for bulk silver?
    8x, 9x face?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted