I Found A Brown Nickel?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by golddollar, May 4, 2006.

1. golddollar

golddollar Junior Member

Hello Everyone- First Timer here at the forum. I found a 1980 p Nickel brownish in color. My question is what causes things like this to happen? It is not rust- it is not paint or manure. I had to add this because it is a found coin in circulation. I got it at the the supermarket. It actually is very nice looking and has a bit of shine to it. I have a flatbed scan so it may not look so good. Havent the money yet for the fancy digital cameras. Maybe I'll find that coin -that will bring me the big bucks some day- as we all are wishing for! A newbie collector here. I have been trying to take the crash course on coins- but with all the varities out there it's been difficult. I hope by being here , I can learn. So can any one here help me in identifying this coin?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum. Your coin might have a dark color due to an improper alloy mix. This is somewhat common with nickels. Generally, it doesn't add much value except on uncirculated coins.

Charlie

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy golddollar - Welcome to the Forum !!

It could also be that this coin has come in contact with some sort of chemical which caused the coloration.

5. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

Is the reverse the same color?

6. golddollar

golddollar Junior Member

yes the reverse of the nickel is the same color.

7. golddollar

golddollar Junior Member

Thank you all for your quick replies- I can tell Im gonna Learn alot here!!

8. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I've seen a nickel like this before. I found it in a limestone gravel parking lot. It was brownish-black and like yours had an overabundance of abrasions and chewed up rims. I think it is a chemical reaction between the dust on and around the stones, water, and time that changes the color.

9. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Kind of looks lilke the nickels I made during my AT, artificial toning, experiments. Got them to look like that after soaking in gun bluing solutions. I doubt that it came from the Mint with that color. Not much value unfortunately.

10. CheriLovesJesus7

CheriLovesJesus7 New Member

I have 4 Brown nickels that came from different places. I too am curious. They are very unique. There must be a better explanation about these brown nickels.
    Cheri

11. fullofpraise

fullofpraise New Member

brown knickle

All I know about any kind of colored kniclke was the "1937" when the dies were change from a paticular material other than they started to use.I had one sent off and they took,so long returning It that I believe it was switched.Reaserch the "37-38" knickle.I`ve seen one that sold for 10,000!Look liked ait was a color between a yellowish orange.I can`t remember anymore.

12. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

I been had. Go-ogled 'knickle' and it came back all pron. Thanks for contaminating my go-ogle cache perma record :(

13. Farmer 93

Farmer 93 New Member

I have also have found a 73 d brown nickel.

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Most Brown Nickels are a result of Environmental Damage :yuck:

15. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Probably damage or contact with chemicals. Whats it weigh? A normal nickel weighs 5 grams. If it weighss less it could be missing the nickel.

-SC

16. paddyman98

As in Clad Nickel layer?
    Nickels don't have a clad layer o_O

17. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

What? Ive been told lies!!! lmao

-SC

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. 13CeeJay13$

13CeeJay13$ New Member

Hello. Oh btw nice find even if it’s worth a lot or a little still a good find. But I also found a much darker color brown red maybe Burgundy tint I’m new to all this so I’m just curious maybe a reaction in that nature I’m assuming.

19. 13CeeJay13$

13CeeJay13$ New Member

It’s a nickel as well 1972

20. paddyman98

Hello. Welcome to CoinTalk.
    Your Nickel is most likely Brown due to Environmental Exposure. Nickels are made of Cupro-Nickel and can turn a darker color when buried in dirt or exposed to brackish water.

Here are examples of many of my metal detected finds. It occurs on Clad coins also. Clad is made of Cupro-Nickel.
    20201213_144501(1).jpg 20201213_144519(1).jpg 20201024_162446(1).jpg 20201024_162452(1).jpg 20200321_202533(1).jpg 20200321_202553(1).jpg 20200312_120034.jpg 20190504_174319-1.jpg 20171224_140434.jpg

Unfortunately your Nickel is worth only 5 Cents.

BTW.. This thread is from May 2006. Many of the members who posted originally are no longer on CoinTalk. You might want to start your own unique thread with pictures next time.

Draft saved Draft deleted