I came across this 5p coin. Rolling Mill Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by evronvmi, Aug 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. evronvmi

evronvmi New Member

I have this 5p coin which after I did some research I find out this can be a Rolling Mill error. I couldn't find too many coins with this error but a couple of old US coins 60's-70's with the stripes at random degrees. This ones seems to very vertical.
    As I couldn't find too much about this error, I really don't know how to appreciate this coin.
    I'm a beginner in numismatics, only two months or so and I want to ask how much this coin would worth. I know there is no right answer and it's all about collector appreciation when it comes to price but maybe someone have any clue about this. Thank you.
    I leave photos and scans below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

High resolution scans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. evronvmi

evronvmi New Member

Something interesting I notice the stripes are over the head of the queen but under the letters.

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

evronvmi likes this.
  5. evronvmi

evronvmi New Member

Thanks for the tip with variety. Well it seems nobody knows or interesed in this coin so I decided to send it to NGC for grading. They will tell what’s the thing with the coin.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Please do let us know when you get it back.
    And welcome to CT.

evronvmi likes this.
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT good luck with the coin

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sometimes you have to give us a day or two... Good luck

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Or they may say nothing about it.

I strongly suspect planchet striation lines. And they do appear on the lettering as well, at least on some of them. They aren't as noticeable on the reverse because they happen to coincide with the background lines in the design, but they are visible on some of the devices.

10. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i, too would be interested in finding the outcome of this endeavor, thanks, john

Draft saved Draft deleted