I bought a fake!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by pete1970, Aug 17, 2009.

1. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

I bought a fake 1932 quarter on e bay, and I need some advice.
    I sent a message to the seller stating I want a refund.
    Do you have any advice?
    should I report this item?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

It's a bit late don't you think... You've done all that needs to be done for now so if he doesn't follow up, file a paypal dispute.

4. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

I am just a Bit PI$$ED right now.I just wanted some help.

5. tauferners

tauferners On a quest for knowledge

Hey pete1970 I would be very interested to know how this plays out w/ both the seller and ebay. I am deathly afraid of buying on ebay for just this reason, and am constantly searching threads for any info on spotting fakes. Even thgough it wasn't my money I am ****ed for you man!

6. Half.Disme

Half.Disme Member

can we see pics..how do you know it is a fake?

7. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

I had another thread on this but no one was responding...So I started this one with "fake" in the opening statement, and voila.Its like magic!
    here is the other thread.
    http://www.cointalk.com/t65951/

8. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

9. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

You might need documentation from a Numismaticist

10. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

There is no shortage here! for sure.

11. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Big difference between someone looking at a photo of your coin on the internet or a ANA Certified Numismaticist giving you a hard copy of his or her opinion.

12. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

umm....ya know that most likely your coin is worth more than you paid since it IS a fake?
    In most cases people don't fake the P's, but rather the D and S...so I would say that you could sell this coin for alot more than you paid.

That being said - I'm not sure this is a fake - looks alright to me.

Speedy

13. pappy-o

pappy-o coinoisseur

Just a little advise Pete, remember on ebay the buyer has the upper hand now especially when sold a fake anything , emal this seller for a refund or leave a negative feedback if he dose not comply , these sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for you, ebays new rule. I would then file a complaint with ebay stating this seller is selling fakes, good luck & sorry to here you were scamed. I've only bought a few coins on ebay for this exact reason , getting a fake!

14. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

Even my wife noticed that the date is not up to par.Did you examine the date any?

15. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Does a magnet stick to it? :goofer:

Ribbit :)

16. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

yep, who would fake a P mint 1932? As far as not sure, I posted a 1909 S vdb that some members here called fake. I sent it to ANACS and they slabbed it.

17. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

Thank you for the advice, I will have it looked at.

18. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

I don't get it...why is it a fake? Who would fake a $6 coin? Are we wastin' time on this thread?

19. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well not to bash your wife - but does she really think they struck all 5,404,000 1932P quarters with the same die?
    Yes I did check out the date - looks fine - no problem at all.

Speedy

20. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

I'd have to agree with tha Speedster. :thumb:

It looks like there's a little damage to the date area but other than that, it looks otay to me. :goofer:

Ribbit :)

21. goldmember

goldmember Junior Member

I just caught on that this was a P and not a D. Not sure who would go through the effort to fake this. Plus seller has almost 5000 feedback, and all are 100%. Definitely not an expert, but I couldn't find any issues when comparing the date to a ragged 1932 D I have, as well as others from the same period. I know the date looks funny on its own, but look at it next to some close-ups of genuine coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted