Hudson'S Bay Company 1784 Token

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Ok anyone? I purchased this token and I will fill you in later as to who what, when ,and where! Hint it was used as I have been told as model of a 2006 Canadian coin that sold out ! The coin was a square silver with 24 kt gold plate. Paddy

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I am not sure, but cnosidering the date 7 all.
    Looks like a replica to me.

But, what do I know, I wear glasses.

4. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

The only Hudson Bay tokens I know of were minted in the 1800's and don't have a 1784 date on them. :kewl: So I'm very interested in knowing the skinny on this token. :thumb:

Ribbit :)

5. Paddy54

I was told from the person from whom I purchased it from that it was a beaver pelt token 10 MD mean 10 pelts. The token then could be exchanged for goods needed by a trapper to go back out to work his tarp lines. IE gun powder new traps , food etc. The item is made of puter ...The 2006 Canadian square beaver coin from the RCM is the coin that was taken from this design of this token. Paddy

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It's cool if it's real.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I have my doubts. I've never seen or heard of anything like that before. As HT said there was a later token good for 1 pelt (MB stands for "Made Beaver" and meant the equivilent value of a properly cured beaver pelt.) The later tokens all have raised features. It seems odd that on this one they all seem to be incuse.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

OK, so I realize I'm replying to a an eight-year-old thread here, but since @Paddy54 and @Conder101 are still active here, I thought I'd ask what became of this. It's a cool-looking piece. It turned up during a Google Image Search I was doing for something else, and piqued my curiosity.

9. Paddy54

Well someone made me an offer at a show on the piece ,and I sold it. Never finding out it it was real or a reproduction. I doubled my money so I was more than happy to sell it at the time the offer was made.

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, no! YOU GOT CHERRYPICKED, and the other person then sold it for eleventy-six bazillion dollars! :nailbiting::facepalm:

:hilarious:;)

Srsly, tho', that looked pretty intriguing, but it did also look rather like a fantasy.

I once faced a similar dilemma with this Pillar dollar. Got it super cheap (like, $30-35-ish). It was super-sharp, and looked OK in many ways (right kind of edge, etc), but was also way too shiny and a looked little too good to be true in some ways.

I believe it might have been a genuine coin, but polished within an inch of its life. But I was never able to determine that for sure, and was too lazy or broke at the time to send it off for slabbing. I listed it on eBay, carefully stressing the fact that I had no idea about its authenticity, and made no guarantees, but still made good money on it and the buyer said he was happy. (Ready for some irony? He was in China.)

[​IMG]
    (It was way shinier than it looked in these pics. Like almost mirror-shiny, as if it had been chromed. Otherwise, it looked OK to me, though the missing letters were kinda weird...)

@Aethelred might remember this one, if he ever rises from his Rip Van Winkle slumber and ceases being a yeti around these parts.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  11. Monica Hunter

Monica Hunter New Member

Hello
    I recently purchased some hudson bay tokens and one of them is identical to yours but a pewter and has a hole through the top.
    There is a place in Toronto and Montreal that can authenticate it. So curious now that I've seen yours

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Did a little searching and can't find anything about a genuine token like the one in the OP. Hudson Bay company did issue made beaver tokens but only one area appears to have had a 10 made beaver tokens, and it was in the 20th century and it was round.

Draft saved Draft deleted