How to tell Satin Finish

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by parsonsfw, May 12, 2009.

1. parsonsfw

parsonsfw New Member

I recently received a 2005-D Satin Finish Penny in a set and it was wrote on that it was RARE... How am I able to tell Satin Finish from normal finish? What exactly is satin finish? Are other coins offered in it and is it a good investment? Are circulating coins have satin finish?

Can anyone give me an estimate on the 2005-D Satin Finish Penny probably MS 64 or 65 maybe even higher.

Thanks Please Help!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ED TAY

ED TAY Member

Wish I could, I have a 2005 & 2006 dollar set, nobody at the coins shows seem to care about them. Could they be like the early 1900's satin coins that no one wanted and now are rare?

They have a sand blast finish, I'd like to think they are the for-runner to the burnished style the mint started up in 2006.

They are not for circulation.

4. parsonsfw

parsonsfw New Member

Currently their values are very high (3-6 dollars a piece for Pennies through Dimes)

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Are you talking about Matte Proofs?

6. ED TAY

ED TAY Member

7. ksproul

ksproul Member

I believe all the coins (cent through dollar) in the regular U.S. uncirculated mint sets started having the satin finish in 2005 (through present). The satin finish is used only in the mint sets, not on the "business strike" coins for circulation. You can identify the satin finish as the coins have a less brilliant, more frosted look to them (sort of like the features on a proof coin, but over the whole coin).

8. C Jay

C Jay Member

I got these from a mint set. Apparently, Philadelphia sent business strikes and Denver sent the satins. The pic aren't too good but in hand the difference is big. Matt proof would be the best description. According to the red book all uncirculated mint sets since 2005 are satins.

Attached Files:

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

All of the Mint Set coins have the satin finish. However, much like what happens to the cameo on a Proof coin when the die begins to wear - they are no longer cameo - the same thing happens with the satin finish. As the die wears the satin finish is no longer as pronounced on some coins. There are some that have been reported as not having any satin finish at all.

10. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

They are fairly easy to identify if you see as many as I do,

They are fairly easy to identify if you see as many (Lincoln's) as I do, with that said very few people see that many - I look at 3000 to 7500 each week. It is not rare or hard to find though.
    Normally a roll of 2005 not satin finish will be quite a bit more shiny, with water marks, (little tiny round splotches of black) all around, more contact marks, (hits) etc. The SMS cents will be a subdued red surface instead of brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted