How much will the scratch affect the grade.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sweet wheatz, Feb 27, 2010.

1. sweet wheatz

sweet wheatz Senior Member

I was thinking F12 on this coin but there is a scratch. What do you think the grade should be?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nss

nss Gold Plated Member

One grade lower in value, probably. The grade itself is based on wear. There is no hard and fast rule on how a grade is decreased by a scratch.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Like nss says, there are no rules. I suspect what you are really asking is what is the value. My guess is that it would bring low VG moneys.

5. sweet wheatz

I am marking it to sell but I am not as concerned about value as I am getting the grade right. I will mark it at VG8.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Yep, Sounds close to me!

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If you want this for a listing, list it with what you know. The coin has F12/15 details and is scratched. Those are as close as you can get to grading "facts".

8. sweet wheatz

That works for me and it is honest

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, it's honest but it's not complete. The coin has also been harshly cleaned and retoned and the coin is corroded.

10. Zzyzzyth

Zzyzzyth Junior Member

Wow. Learn something new everyday. What is retoned, and what are the telltale signs? To be honest, I can't tell it has been cleaned either.

11. sweet wheatz

Thanks for being honest. I am still learning the grading. I redid the auction to reflect this.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The color is the give-away regarding the re-toning. That is not a natural color.

The cleaning is seen by looking at the pitting that remains where some of the corrosion was removed.

13. davemac

davemac dave

it is like a unc note with no writing on it. It de values a coin the same way same as a note with writing on it. This is just my op. I would not buy a coin with a scratch or buy a note with writing on it .
    Glad to see some one honest about there listings. Well done

14. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I would think in this instance the scratch is the least important item. Not sure about the grade but that corrosion all around the edges sure makes it a poor choice to purchase.

15. Zzyzzyth

Zzyzzyth Junior Member

Thank you. I can see what you are talking about now.

Draft saved Draft deleted