How many Ancient collectors are on CT?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Nov 1, 2009.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Just curious how many we have here. Even if you only have one ancient.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

+1

stainless

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I do. Obviously. :D

5. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I have some.

6. GypsyTears

GypsyTears Mammy 2 shoes

7. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

me too

check out my albums, ancients on a budget

8. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I have a few. But don't know much about them. I just thought it would be good to add to my US coin collection. I know that statement dosen't make sense since these are mostly Greek coins.

9. snaz

snaz Registry fever

The count is now at 8 on CT.
    I think I have 3 or 4. :)

10. Gao

Gao Member

Another ancients guy here.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

[​IMG]

Move along, nothing to see here.

12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Well, I may be middle aged, but certainly not ancient.....

Count me in, I love roman and celtic coins!

13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I am another Ancient Collector :)

BTW, I have now installed a simple Message Board on my web site to which I post notes, comments and addenda relating to Early British Tetrarchic Coinage and Roman Coin Lettering.

James

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

+1
    I think I have quite a few of them :kewl:
    Q

15. danfierce70

danfierce70 Member

I have 5 of them (so far) :D

16. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Archaic

(Given that this informal poll is not a statistical sampling....) Well, yes, there is hardly a form of money that I do not have one of, as an example, and I am really not a collector of anything but knowledge.

That said, when standing up to be counted, I am an ancients guy. My primary interest is in archaic and classical Greek, typically small silvers, about the value of a day's wages for a rower on a galley, a hoplite in the field, or a citizen at assembly. (Below, Syracuse litra 0.6 grams c. 400 BCE).

Attached Files:

17. blue_oxen

blue_oxen Junior Member

I have some roman coins i got off ebay that where uncleaned I used electrolysis to clean them and put them up someplace if I can find them ill post a pic or 2 would be interesting to see what they are.

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I started collecting Roman in the 1960's and have since spread out to include almost anything before they started making coins to be collected rather than spent. That includes most ancients.

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have no idea how many ancients I have, I went through a phase where I bought up Athenian Tets, and quite a few Syracuse coins, and Black Sea region coins. I haven't really lost interests there, but I am more interested in my Scottish and beautiful ladies on banknotes pursuits.

Here is a Syracuse coin I bought because it still had a casting spur on it:

[​IMG]

It is a hemilitron or half litron from ca. 405-395 BC.

And a more perfect example of the same issue:

[​IMG]

Still with a bit of a casting spur, appropriately located where Arethusa's hair bun is, making the coin design complete only because of the casting spur. The coin itself was not cast, but rather struck on a cast flan.

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks for posting and sharing :) and keep em coming :D

here couple cheap ones i got today :) nothin pretty. both CLaudius though one with Constantia was listed as agrippa, but its 25mm

Attached Files:

21. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I bought my very first (and only) antient a couple weeks back. As soon as I get to it, I'll post a picture of it....

However, with only one and no plans currently to get more, I would not consider myself an ancient collector...

Draft saved Draft deleted