how did you get into coin collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by moneyfan, Apr 28, 2008.

1. moneyfan

moneyfan collector of coins/bills

i am really not sure but i beleve that it started with the state quarters and got a big push when i got a ton of world coins from a friend. now i collect what i can find that i like. i do a little in paper currency when i find a good bill. anything old and good. :)
    i love coins, the history, the art, and everything in between.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I started collecting when I got some Whitman folders and a Blue Book as a birthday gift in 1964. Back then you could find Wheat Cents, Buffalo Nickels, War Nickels, Mercury Dimes, Standing Liberty Quarters and Walking Liberty Halves in circulation.

4. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I will have the same answer as most people of my generation.....filling whitman folders from circulation. I had stopped collecting for a few years to focus on my other interests.....mostly music, but I will admit, the state quarters brought me back.

I got my Lincoln addiction by helping my uncle Skip sort wheatbags in the 60's.

5. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

The UK produces commemorative £2 coins each year only about 5 years I go I first noticed them and started to pick out of my change the £2 coin commemoratives. I then stuck these coins to my TV with sticky tac. I also used to collect and stick coins on the TV from vacation visits (eruos etc.)
    One day I decided to check up on the net how many £2 coin designs there actually were at the time. Then desperate to have them I started buying the ones I needed to complete the set.
    Then they came off the TV found their way in to a draw beside my bed.

From nothing 5 years ago my collection has around 100 silver pieces and 2 gold among possibly 1000+ different specimens'.

6. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

While prying coins off of corpses eyes, I started to notice the beautiful designs.
    Don't worry, I replaced them with stainless steel washers.
    :thumb:

7. jeankay

jeankay Coin Hoarder

Got started by

Got started by having a can full of coins I had been stashing away because they were either wheats, or they were 1964 or before.
    One day I decided the wheats deserved a better home than the can so I got Whitman/Harris folders for them.
    Then there are the nickels which needed folders, and the dimes which needed folders... and on and on and on.
    and well, you can probably guess that it has gotten totally out of hand and is steadily becoming an obsession....

better go now, got to research some nickel prices...

jeankay

8. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think it was a combination of things. First, there were a lot of Canadian coins in circulation back then, and my parents used to pull out the pennies and nickels for me to save. I still have them. I also found a few indian head cents still in circulation in those days. Then, I received some of my grandfather's morgan and peace dollar "collection." He wasn't a real coin collector but had a lot of silver dollars that he saved just because he liked them. Like other folks, I began searching through pocket change for the legendary but never to be found 1909s vbd and 1955 double die cents. There were other events I could relate, but it was mostly my parents and grandfather who originally got me interested, although they never really seriously collected themselves. After a few years, I sort of lost interest, then picked up the bug again about five years ago and began to collect silver dollars and silver eagles.

9. asciibaron

asciibaron /dev/work/null

i was born into it - my father is a dealer.

-steve

10. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

My Grandfather got me started and took me to a few shows when I was a kid. I started with wheats and buffolo nickels. He got me back into it when He had to move to Seattle a few years back and I was blessed with his collection.
    My first thought was, like most, what's it worth?. After some research it did not take long to start adding to it instead of selling. I think I have only sold 2 or 3 oddball coins of his along the way. I have added way more than I have taken out.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Got the bug from my old man who started me off with collecting proof and mint sets. Went through a dry spell in the 90's but the quarters program got me back on board. Found Coin Talk and am now totally comitted and addicted to collecting....can't stop.

12. moneyfan

that would have been so cool. must have a few stashed away right? the stuff we have now will soon be collectors items in years. thats why im getting them now. maybe i'll get rich in my adult life from these coins.

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i took a wrong turn somewhere

14. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

how did I start?

I got bored of cards and said "hmmmm...I like silver, lets try coins."

and now I love it a lot more than I ever did with cards and will never leave this hobby.

stainless

15. Jonathon

Jonathon New Member

My grandfather got me into it. He has been a collector all his life and when i was a little kid he would give me a few coins (buffalo nickels, indian heads) everytime i would come to his house.

16. moneyfan

way cool. you are so lucky.

17. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I got started I guess really when I found what I thought to be "error" coins from circulation, and I was trying to research them on the internet, found here, and I guess the rest is history. ;)

Phoenix :cool:

18. CoinGal07

CoinGal07 Still Collecting

I credit the tooth fairy.

19. Scubasteve500

Scubasteve500 Senior Member

i got hooked when i was about 9 or ten i saw a couple kennedy halfs my dad had saved for me nuttin special just an ordinary half but it was unusual to me at the time and i started form there and have been hooked ever since

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I just wanna know IF you're gonna find your way back ? :D

21. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

:mouth: :mouth: ROTFL :mouth: :mouth:

Phoenix :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted