How can you tell that a Canadian silver $1 is an Arnprior?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Aidan Work, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Here's a section for the Canadian members,& for those who collect Canadian coins as well.How can one tell the Arnprior $1 coins from the ordinary Voyageur $1 of 1950,1951,& 1955? If you have a $1 coin that is most definitely an Arnprior,can you please scan it & a closeup of the area that defines the coin as being an Arnprior.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dollarcrazy

dollarcrazy New Member

Arnprior dollars have 2 1/2 water lines in front of the canoe.
    Most 1955`s also have an obverse die break between the T and I of GRATIA.
    The loss of the water lines is from die polishiing and not intentional.
    The term Arnprior comes from the town in Ontario where the variety was discovered. Actually, the town placed an order with the Royal Canandian mint for the Dollars for a promotional event but the mint had no dollars on hand. So the mint reworked some used dies and went into production. The result is the Arnprior Dollars most of which were released in and around Arnprior, Ontario Canada.

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Dollarcrazy,if you do have an Arnprior $1,can you please scan it so that the members can see for themselves.

5. dollarcrazy

dollarcrazy New Member

Sorry Aidan, I have handled a few but I don`t have one now. There are several on e-bay. One has a close-up of the water lines.

6. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Here is a scan from the Charlton catalogue. I hope this helps.I see the scan is not very clear I had trouble getting it to fit. Sorry, I tried.

Bill

Attached Files:

7. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Try this one.

Attached Files:

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

This thread is an old one,but it is a very good one that would bring back a few memories for some of the older members.

Aidan.

9. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

I wasn’t aware as why this variety is called Arnprior before reading this post. Every time I visit this site, I learn something new!

It's interesting that you mentioned about Arnprior dollars. I had a very nice 1955 pair. Both of them were graded by PCGS. The regular dollar was MS63 while the Arnprior was graded MS62.
    This past Sunday I was showing it to a fellow coin club member and he wanted them badly as these were the only two coins missing from his Canadian dollar collection. After seeing the pair, he forced me to sell those to him.

I still have another nice 1955 arnprior in my collection which I will try to scan tonight and will share with you all.

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

10. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

Here is the 1955 Arnprior dollar ->

[​IMG]

Regards
    Ballabh Garg

11. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

A 1950 dollar with "Full water Lines" ->
    [​IMG]

And with "Short Water Lines" ->
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Ballabh Garg

12. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

A 1952 dollar with "Full Water Lines" ->
    [​IMG]

With "Short Water Lines" ->
    [​IMG]

And with "No water Lines" ->
    [​IMG]

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

13. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Ballabh,those are very nice Canadian silver $1 coins you have got there.I haven't got many of them in my own collection yet.

Aidan.

Draft saved Draft deleted