Ho-nan

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by abe, Aug 29, 2009.

1. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

I've got a large foreign coin that says HO- NAN on it, sorry no pix, does anyone have any info. on a time period for ho-nan. I think its chinese.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

any other info you can give? pictures, dates, type of metal?

4. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

5. DCH

DCH Member

With a dragon design 1905-1911. Crossed flags 1913-1928.

Denomination(10,20,50,100,200 Cash) should be on the same side as HO-NAN at bottom, or post the diameter.

6. abe

Do all chinese coins have square holes in them? The one I'm talking about is a solid coin. Thankx for the site...

7. DCH

DCH Member

8. abe

The coin appears to be copper. About the size of a US half dollar. Just below HO-NAN are 2 flags with poles criss-crossing eachother. There are 2 weights of some sort dangling below the crossed poles. The coin is solid. the other side has chinese writing around the edge of the coin. The center has a dotted circle about the size of a US cent, with some kind of plant in it. kind of like wheat stalks, 2 of them...

9. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

10. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

11. abe

Got it.. HO-NAN 50 CASH unlisted variety- long petals, 1912-1949
    Thanx everyone

12. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Krause lists only cash coins (the ones with square holes) for Honan Province in the 19th Century, but in the 20th Century listings there are a dozen Imperial milled coins, and more than a dozen Republic milled coins.

At least half of the Honan Republican coins have a crossed flag design. Your description of a "large" coin eliminates a few possiblities, but by no means all of them.

If you can't come up with a means of posting a picture, I suggest you visit your local public library's reference section, and look up Honan Province under China in the Standard Catalog of World Coins.

13. rodney hulin

rodney hulin New Member

My coin is almost the same. It is surly form the same origin. I have had it since the vetis nan war

14. rodney hulin

rodney hulin New Member

15. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Hey I've got a nice fake Dragon if anybody's..oh, just kidding. Still hurts.

16. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

There is a china empire coin post. im sure you can see them there. I have several of the honan coins posted including the 50 cash

17. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

18. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just took abreak from coins for a while but back mildly now

Draft saved Draft deleted