Hitler Silver Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by race58, May 30, 2008.

1. race58

race58 Junior Member

Hi:
    I am new to this forum and I was hoping to get some help identifying two coins that I have. They are both silver and have Adolph Hitlers face on them. The one with the dates 1889-1945 is about 1 3/8 inches (Silver Dollar size) and the other is 1 inch in diameter (Quater Size).
    I bought these back around 1990 when I was trying to get into coin collecting. At the time I was buying silver dollars from all around the world. 1 every other week. I have long since stopped doing that and sold my collection with the exception of a few,,, these being part of that few. I have been told before though I don't remember by whom that these coins were made in 1989 somewhere in Germany to commemorate the 100 Year anniversary of Hitlers birth but obviously not sanctioned by the government. I know that they are not real currency other than their silver value.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

This may be a silly question, but could these be medals?
    I was always under the impression that Hitler was never on a coin.
    [Been wrong in the past, & Will be again.]

5. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Right you are.
    Since they give both his birth date and date of death, they are obviously posthumous, and not products of the post-war German government.

They are more probably silver-plated copper than pure silver, as the Ebay seller estimates.

Based on the "One People, One Nation, One Leader" inscription, they were clearly struck by a neo-Nazi (illegal in Germany) organization, and if originally sold as silver, they should have been accompanied by a COA specifying their content.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Cannot see the auction (eBay apparently blocks it here) but of course these are not coins. Don't know where they were produced; could have been here in Germany, or maybe in the US where most nazi memorabilia collectors are. (Certainly not by any government; there is no "Deutsches Reich".) The second one is designed similarly to real coins from Nazi Germany; those had a 2 or 5 in the empty field between the D and the swastika, and the other side showed Paul von Hindenburg, the president who appointed Hitler.

Christian

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They were made in the USA, just like the Jersey and Guernsey soldatenheim tokens. That is where the most interests exist for this paraphernalia.

8. race58

race58 Junior Member

Thanks. Do you know where and when?

Draft saved Draft deleted