Hindu Coin - fantasy?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Moustan, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Yet another wee coin I've picked up in my random buying - this time what I presume to be a hindu coin of some form due to the presence of a flying cow on one side.

Looks like a copper cast but I'm not certain on that and it's got quite a dark patina to it (purpleyish). Worryingly on one side there appears to be the remains of another layer of metal - probably just an error.

I reckon it's a fantasy coin just by the look of the thing but I've got very little experience with Asian coins aside from some colonials.

Any info would be much appreciated - I appear to have got my camera back into the trend of focusing on things so hopefully the pictures will be of great servitude to the boundless wisdom of our resident experts.

Ta

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LSM

LSM Collector

Moustan, Spock or kidromeo my by able to help you on this coin or token. Looks like there's a nice cud on the reverse at 8:00 o'clock.

Lou

4. DCH

DCH Member

It's a 1/4 Anna from the Indian state of Indore, dated VS1943(1886). Looks like KM# 32.4

5. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

Moustan, its not a fantasy coin but a real legal tender of the Indian princely state of Indore during British rule. Like DCH pointed, the denomination is 1/4 Anna or Pao Anna as stated in reverse in Hindi. The date on reverse is 1943 VS which equates to 1886 AD. This coin is minted from 1886-1890 and is worth around $1.50 in VG.

6. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Oh - cheers guys. The wee overcast bit on the reverse coupled with the funny rim made me think it was fantasy - guess I need to brush up on those non-existant skills :D
    Quite good that I got it for 7p then :D I'll go look up Indore. Ta much :D

7. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Wow - it seems incredible that a place with 1.6 M inhabitants is governed by a mayor. God, I'm ignorant that I didn't even know such a big place existed, cheers once again guys.

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

ahem i dont know what you mean by you r last post but nice coin for 7 p

9. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Sorry - I was ranting about Indore :D

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

well you could be outdoor too ":D

11. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Death to the pun maker! :p

12. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i am also the king chop off his head :D

13. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

If you think Spock is bad, wait till you bump into Phoenix! :eek: At least with Spock's jokes, you can laugh at Spock but with Phoenix . . . well . . . words do not describe it. ;)

Ribbit :D

14. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

You're kidding, of course.

Or didn't you know that there are more than 100 cities in the world with populations greater than 2-million?

In the US alone Mayor Bloomberg tries to govern more than 8.2-million New York City residents; Mayor Villaragoso has to deal with 3.8-million Los Angelenos, and the populations of Chicago and Houston (both headed by mayors) top 2-million.

15. Moustan

Moustan New Member

I really did say that without thinking at all. Even the 5M of London are unfortunate enough to have to endure Boris Johnson. My bad.

16. Moustan

Moustan New Member

I've not yet had the pleasure of bumping into such a creature - no doubt I'll find him if he's in a habit of lurking about the World & Ancient Coins section :D

17. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

He has an ego the inverse size of Spock's brain so he'll sniff out me picking on his jokes and pop up. :D

Ribbit :cool:

18. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Hello Toad. [​IMG] :D And Moustan, if you would like to check out some of my jokes, opt into the General Discussion part of the forum by:

Going to your user profile, click on Networking (you will see it in the list on the left), and then click on the button that will opt you into GD.

BTW, if I had a nickel for someone saying that they had, or haven't had, the pleasure of bumping into me, then I'd have, well, a nickel. :D ;) Interesting coin btw!!

Phoenix :cool:

19. Phoenix21

Lol! :D

20. Moustan

Moustan New Member

My Networking tab isn't a hyperlink so unfortunately I can't witness your no doubt majestic jokes. Oh well, thanks anyhoo.
    Is GD just for random ramblings?
    I think i'd fit into something like that much in the way that an Aberdonian fits into sheep.

21. Phoenix21

You tell it like it is!! :D ;) :D And, GD is the place where you can discuss anything outside of numismatics, as long as it is in keeping with the forum rules, and is not political nor religious.

Phoenix :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted