Help with this ancient roman coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by monetarium, Mar 6, 2010.

1. monetarium

monetarium Member

Hello fellow numismatists,
    As always, identifying ancient coins is always a challenge to me, even though I bought me a very good book (krause ancient coin collecting).
    This coin is about the same size of a nickel and like the design with the antelope on the reverse. (I tried to decipher the letters around on the emperor's head and I think it could be Gallienus).
    Any help (as always) will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Monetarium

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gao

Gao Member

You are correct about this being Gallienus. He's easy to spot, since he has a very distinctive bust. The denomination is the antoninianus, which is marked by a radiate crown on male buts and a crescent moon shape under female busts. This denomination was once mostly silver, but by this point really only had trace amounts. For identification help, I find that this site is great most Roman coins as long as you can tell the emperor and a bit of the legend. Looking on that site, it appears that you have RIC 181.

4. monetarium

monetarium Member

Dear Gao,
    Thanks so much for the insight!
    Glad to hear that I wasn't mistaken about the emperor. :) Thank you also for the website reference. I was just checking it and I love the format.
    Thanks again and best regards,
    Monetarium

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

yeah wildwinds is a great site!

Draft saved Draft deleted