help wanted

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by tradernick, Sep 22, 2004.

1. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Moderators if this thread is inappropriate for this forum please remove with my apologies.

I am seeking a part time employee who wants to work at my coin and collectibles shop in Kissimmee, FL...just south of Orlando.
    This will work into a full time position.
    A thorough working knowledge of ebay is a must. The more coin knowledge/experience, the better. Also experience with dealing with the public in a retail atmosphere is important. Honesty is most important of all so references will be needed.
    If you live in this area and are interested PM or email me.

Nick Boyd
    Tradernicks Coins & Collectibles

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

Will you cover moving costs from Northern Michigan??

4. rick

rick Coin Collector

well, if we could work out the commute from Topeka KS, I would work for you for free...

5. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Heh heh thanks guys but like the best Disney and Universal Studios offers, this one's for Florida residents only :)
    Although I AM thinking of opening a second location. hmmmm should we discuss that?
    Nah. I don't want to use the board for that sort of discussion.
    Nick

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well Nick I'll tell ya - I lived in Orlando for about 12 yrs - but that was well over 20 yrs ago. But ya know - I'm gettin mighty tired of the dang ice n snow around these parts and I've made up my mind that as soon as my son is out of school - about 6 yrs to go - I'm movin back ;)

Think you can wait that long ? :D

7. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Something tells me that I'll still be looking for good help at that time so YES please do keep me in mind, my friend.
    6 years from now I hope to have a second location up and running so that I can just travel and buy.
    But who knows what the future holds for us?
    Nick

8. Sarawakian

Sarawakian Member

what is your secret for the formula for successful in coin business that will lead to just travel and buy? :D

9. Machiavelli

Machiavelli New Member

most likely low prices fair trade and excellent service... something I wish i had up here... hey nick.. you said you wanted to open a new location.. how bout opening one up here in Tacoma Washington... ill tell ya... you would have a full time worker right here and a devoted buyer :)

matter of fact a burger king went out of business just up the road for me... my uncle has often talked about making it a internet cafe to drink coffee and surf the internet.. as its right down the road from a college... but a giant coin shop would do nicely too :D

Mach

10. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

work. hard work. lots of it. starting the day several hours before the store opens, then spending early evenings on house calls/appraisals, and late evening answering emails and doing mundane things like studying new auction mgmt tools. traveling to shows as often as possible.
    HANGING IN THERE and working every contact you meet (usually other dealers), memorizing who buys what and for how much. then remembering it when you purchase material that they want.
    that in a nutshell is how it can be started. afterwards it gets a little challenging and really starts to get time consuming :)

11. satootoko

satootoko Retired

The plaint of so many independent startup small businessmen: I scrimped, saved, took [​IMG] from bosses and worked overtime to save enough money to open my business, so I could work twice as hard for half the money and take twice the [​IMG] from customers! :D

12. jody526

jody526 New Member

I'll tell ya, Nick. The last time I was in Orlando, I nearly bought the farm.
    I'm doing about 60 mph in an 80,000 lbs. vehicle, when I round a curve, only to find traffic has come to a dead stop about 50 yds. in front of me.
    (yes I do carry extra clothes with me)

Besides that, I hate the smell of swamp water. LOL

13. jimmy_goodfella

jimmy_goodfella New Member

i once had a job for someone it lasted about 3 weeks then i got another it lasted a whole month.Since the age of 18 i have been self employed .i have never been unemployed and i have done numorous things each one earned more than the last.im 34 now and will never work a day for anyone else in my life i earn more a day than a lot earn a week.

the key is to be desperate,when your self employed you cant sit about waiting for things to happen you have to go make them happen.Ive had 4 diffrent buisness and each one i ran till the next one was running better.ive had a few things that failed to but like i said i held onto the last till i got a better one.

its an attitude thing most people prefer the steady pay check i realised early on i like to make my own decisions and my own hours and knew my life would rather be self employment or in and out of work and social payments.Many people feel like i do in the world but half of them take the wrong route its all a matter of choices.

thieves and lazy people are just people like myself that cant handle working on some-one elses terms but dont have the initiative to use there attitude to there advantage.

self employment aint a job its a lifestyle

14. jimmy_goodfella

jimmy_goodfella New Member

by the way i have a building buisness just now, but have started dabbling with coins and bullion.

i never knew a thing about these things till 6 months ago but already make in my spare time about 400 usd week form it,lots of people put up with a boss all week doing hard work for that its just another sideline in my self employment as of yet.

so if i can do that in 6 months anyone can

15. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I'm with you, Jimmy. If I never work for someone else, it'll be too soon. Sorry about that Nick, but I'm not in FL anyway. I'd definitely rather work double the hours but get to make all of the decisions. It's tough to work for someone else when you don't work and play well with others. :D

16. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Haha there's no swamp water left here. You'd have to go south to the Everglades to find that. But the smell of suntan lotion is permanent :)

17. aem4162

aem4162 New Member

you could open a shop here in dayton, ohio...

18. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

I need to be able to travel back and forth pretty often so OH probably wouldn't work for me.
    I do have my eyes on a certain fine southern city. But first I have to finish making this one self supporting.

19. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

Nick

do you own a Waffle House to?

20. Robert

Robert New Member

What kind of vehicle weighs 60k lbs????

21. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

What was that, a locomotive ?

Draft saved Draft deleted