Post your "mystery" counterstamps here for research and commentary

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Aug 23, 2019.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Edit, 10/1/19- this thread was originally titled

Help w/unknown counterstamp on 1723 Spain 2-reales?

But since some other folks have piled on with theirs, I reckon I'll change the title and turn it into a general "Post Your Mystery Counterstamps" thread for everybody. (I certainly don't mind the pile-ons.)

Sorry for the photos. I did the best I could. This coin is well worn with an old crease, but has an intriguing small counterstamp on the obverse (shield) side. This mark is an incuse scalloped rectangle with two unknown characters inside. (Perhaps two letters, or a crowned letter?) It is entirely possible I have the counterstamp sideways or upside-down in the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marsyas Mike, Chris B and Seattlite86 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

The closest I've seen in Google Image searches are some with a crowned G, but no exact match. I'm not up to speed with counterstamps, other than the vague notion that a lot of 18th century Spanish silver that circulated in the Caribbean/West Indies had them.

Cross-reference: posted the same coin on the Collectors Universe forums.

Help?

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm afraid my chop marked coin book is unavailable for the next few months. I hope you're able to get an answer before then!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Books by F M Rose and C Gullberg and join chop mark news

6. P1000572.JPG P1000572.JPG P1000572.JPG been looking for information on this chop mark e mailed Mr Gullberg in Taiwan he did not know so in my searching I will keep an eye out for your chop mark and if I learn any thing I will let you know . The F M Rose rarity scale last any fractions as rare if I remember right , the list is online if one has the time to look for it . Good luck .

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. chopmarks.com/rose/rose_rarity_scale.shtm this should give you an idea as to how many of the coin you have are out there . I was told by Mr C Gullberg that no master list of chops are out there . Send him some pics and ask his opinion he can take a minute to get back to you he is an instructor at a university in Taiwan he is Canadian however . .Good luck

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

I have this counterstamped coin that I would like more information about, if anyone knows. It stamped on a 1944 Belgium 1 Franc (KM#128). It shows a Germany Eagle holding an encircled swastika, with the letters La at top and M to the left of swastika and A to the right of swastika. It is counterstamped on both sides.
    upload_2019-9-11_14-51-5.png
    upload_2019-9-11_14-51-52.png

9. Best guess the nazi we running low on coin and stamped non German coins ? By 1944 Germany was in ruins and minting coins would not be a high propriety . This is just a guess as I have never seen anything like it .

10. chuckylucky5

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand it was during the WWII period. The counterstamp had to happen late in the war, since the host coin is dated 1944. I am trying to determine if it is a German Military stamp or a private company?? Perhaps someone who is a counterstamp expert/collector can provide some more information.

11. Paul_NL

Paul_NL New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hi there,

I’m a collector from the Netherlands and looking for help to identify a chop mark or counterstamp on a Dutch Lion Daalder. Any help is much appriciated.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. The info i have there is a list of a great deal of chop marks being compiled now . However it will be in Chinese first and then translated at a later date . F M Rose book and Collin Gullberg book are out there if you can find them and are willing to pay the price . I am still looking . Join the chopmarknews for $10.00 American issue once every three months you can look for it on pay pal . Back issue of the chop mark news can be found online just dig around they are full of good info .

13. Paul_NL

Paul_NL New Member

Thanks,
    I have noticed the books but although it’s fascinating stuff, I’m not planning to collect chop marked coins. I only came across this one and i was curious. I did check older issues of chopmark news, but couldn’t find it. I’m not even sure if it is a chinese chopmark.

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Here is one that I've posted before but no one knew why it may have been stamped with this.
    1887 Liberty head nickel-german silver.jpg 1887 5¢ German Silver.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. chuckylucky5

I haven't seen this one anywhere. Any info is appreciated. Counterstamp on 1944 Belgian 1 Franc. Same counterstamp on Reverse. Counterstamp on 1944 Belgian 1 Franc.jpg Counterstamp on 1944 Belgian 1 Franc Rev.jpg.jpg

16. Seattlite86

This looks carved, not stamped. would you agree?

17. Seattlite86

18. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

FRANCE Louis XVI Copper Sol 1788 Lille mint

Does anyone have any ideas about the B c/m on the obverse ?

France Louis XVI Sol 1788W with B cm obv 678.jpg France Louis XVI Sol 1788W with B cm rev 680.jpg

19. lordmarcovan

Cool. Bored jeweler testing a punch out, would be my guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted