Help identifying Asian coin...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by PersianGuy, Jan 6, 2010.

1. PersianGuy

PersianGuy my.will.is.good

When I was a kid, my dad, who was an interior designer and antiques collector gave me this "Sword" made of some old (and quite worn) coins stitched together. I don't think he ever told me where they were from, and since he passed away when I was 15 I can't ask him now. I would really like to know where they are from, how old and if anyone knows anything about this art form. He had other things framed made of these same type of coins. They are mostly well worn, some corroded, but I really love this thing. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cool concept! They look like Chinese cash coins to me but I suppose they might be from a different country...really out of my experience range..I just wanted to say how cool that looks.

4. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Annamese cash coins are commonly used for the creation of art objects, such as your sword. I have a turtle created by a sister-in-law from colored silk thread and brass Japanese ¥5 pieces, which also have a central hole.

5. PersianGuy

Thanks a lot! Is there any way to determine what general era these particular coins would have been minted?

6. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

It is a "coin sword" composed of Chinese cash coins from the Qing (Ch'ing) Dynasty and believed to have the power to protect a person from evil influences.

You can see a similar coin sword displayed here at the British Museum.

As is the case with the British Museum specimen, most of the coins that I can see in your coin sword are also from the time of Emperor Gao Zong who ruled under the reign title qian long from 1736-1795. The coins have the inscription qian long tong bao.

Your second image showing a close-up of one of the coins, however, is a dao guang tong bao cast during the reign of Emperor Xuan Zong (1821-1850).

Your coin sword appears have authentic coins but there are many fake coin swords being sold which are composed of modern reproduced coins.

Gary

7. PersianGuy

Wow Gary, exactly what I was hoping to learn! A million thanks.. especially for the link to the British Museum piece. I think I will keep it out and on display from now on. What a fascinating history.

8. ls8driver

ls8driver Chinese Coin collector

The third and subsequent images show Qian Long Tong Bao coins, cast under Emperor Gao Zong 1736-95. They look authentic.

Nice sword!

9. PersianGuy

Upon a further look, almost all of them seem to be of that period except the one on the front.

are these coins rare? as you can see the condition is not the greatest.

10. ls8driver

ls8driver Chinese Coin collector

They are fairly common, especially in htis condition, which looks not too bad for their age. Hartill places a rarity rating of 14-16 on most Qian Long coins. These days you can pick them up for around $1.00 apiece.

In the sword of course they are worth much more.

Display it with pride...it's a very nice item.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That is a really cool sword your Dad gave you. It's believed to have protective properties as well. Thumbs up!

12. Dime_a_dozen

Dime_a_dozen Junior Member

That was really awesome sword made with Chinese coins.

Don't lose it.

13. PersianGuy

I have to find the right place for it now.. since my cat thinks it's a toy and has pulled it down from the table a couple times already.

14. charlienorth

charlienorth Junior Member

Use the sword on the cat?

Cool Sword!

15. DadaVanya

DadaVanya Junior Member

Qian Long AKA Chien Lung on most of them. Ya wanna few dozen more?
    I have a bunch on eBay for 25¢ each, but hope somebody bids them up a bit.
    But I envy the sword! A friend of mine in Oklahoma has one.

16. PersianGuy

Yea it's pretty special to me, because of my dad. And now that I know all of this fascinating history about it, I treasure it even more!

Draft saved Draft deleted