Having more than one of the same coin ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, Nov 20, 2019.

1. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

I just added quite a few coins to my collection over the last 3 weeks.
    It seems I have a problem not just being happy with just one coin when I like it.
    For example I have an Iberian coin from Asido that I just love, it is by far my favorite coin out of all my coins, I found it metal detecting myself and traded it to a friend and reacquired it after about 25 years.
    I also love coins from the second Punic war from Spain and have a coin that depicts Scipio Africanus.

Well I just had to buy another example of each coin, here they are:

IMG_6659 (2).JPG

Asido ,Ancient Spain 110 BC. Phonecian and Punic.
    Obv: Melkart head facing forward.
    Rev: Two tunny fish right Libio-Phoenician legend
    ( B B L ) Semis

Asido, an Iberian settlement which may have been founded by the Phoenicians, hence the later name Sidonia reflecting its foundation by Sidon. Its earliest phase is known throughits coinage and its 2nd and 1st centuries BC issues bear the Latin inscription Asido but also Punic inscriptions such as'sdn or b'b'l, with Herakles and Dolphins being notable obverse and reverse designs.

IMG_6663 (2).JPG

Spain, Carthago Nova Æ Unit. Roman Occupation, after 209 BC. Bare-head left (Scipio Africanus?) / Horse standing right; palm tree behind.

Second Punic War when the Romans, under the leadership of Scipio Africanus, took the war to Carthage's possessions in Spain in order to cause Hannibal to withdraw from Italy. Though still a young man, Scipio displayed extraordinary skills in leadership and by 209 BC brought the provincial Carthaginian city of Qart Hadasht in Spain under his control. Differing substantially from the earlier regional issues which may depict the Barcid generals, this youthful Roman-like head is very possibly that of Scipio himself. The rarity of this issue, both in silver and bronze, attests to its short period of striking, and may reflect the Romans' republican views regarding the depiction of a living individual on their coins, even those that would circulate outside of Rome itself.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with having multiples of either of them! Both sets are looking good! Who knows, maybe sometime long long ago, they resided in the same money pouch and have finally been reunited after all these years. At least that's what I like to imagine :)

4. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting set of coins.
    Most of the time I go for one of a kind. I think it makes a more well rounded collection. But there are some that have tempted me to buy more. I also liked the potential that the Scipio coin is the first living Roman on a coin. The second Scipio was too cheap to pass and the 3rd was a condition upgrade.
    3sipios.jpg 3sipiosrev.jpg
    I also have a couple of 3 Graces. I bought the second coin hoping it was different, but alas, it was not. I kept both.
    Julia Domna 3 graces obv.jpg Julia Domna 3 graces rev.jpg DSCN0254.JPG DSCN0255.JPG

6. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

@rrdenarius I know exactly what you are saying I bought the nicer one from Roma Numismatics auction 61 and paid about $560 for it in total after all the added costs the second one like you said was too cheap and got it for about $30 with shipping.

rrdenarius likes this.
  7. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@bcuda, really nice examples. Really not the same coins, as each has their own character. I'm especially impressed with the Carthaginian Unit on the left in your image - really an excellent example in relatively high grade.
    This said, I generally don't consider purchasing varieties I already have, so at first, I thought no, I don't have any duplicates. Then I started looking and found these two coins. I think they are in every way the same variations, although obviously of different styles from different engravers, and as your Spanish examples, each with their own character:
    Denarius, Crawford 53/2 Group 4. (Flag cape, rectangular ROMA frame, many triangular griffon tufts behind Roma's helmet)
    53-2-Grp4-Haeberling.jpg
    53-2-18-Grp 4-CNG-E284-lot230.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  8. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

It's nice to give your coins playmates. I do it too.

- Broucheion

rrdenarius, Pellinore and bcuda like this.
  9. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

You can't study how coins are different without first studying how they are the same...

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-O0D2nU3niWfXCc.jpg imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-z8FHg7Vz5ji.jpg

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those of us who collect for more than a short while frequently identify a specialty (or ten) and see nothing wrong with multiples that differ from each other is ways that would not be appreciated by 90% of other collectors and almost no one new to the hobby. I like coins of Septimius Severus and his wife Julia Domna. There are several major types that I have gathered in multiples with minor variations in style if not in details. A common reverse for Domna is Venus from the rear. I currently have 40 each just a bit to greatly different. I see nothing wrong with this but do have a few favorites among the group and perhaps a dozen that are 'why did I buy that?' status. To do a serious study of the type one would need a hundred times that number explaining why serious studies are not usually done wholly from a private collection. I have posted coins from this group too many times and doubt anyone reading this would appreciate the desire to have these let alone find more. I may be the only person here who even would recognize what sets some of these apart in my mind. That is OK; these are my coins. The one below is a bit unusual for a reason other than the ugly nose on both sides.
    rl5690bb1282.jpg

11. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I hope you will not be offended by a joke:
    "On eBay this coin may be listed as featuring the extremely rare reverse of Nerva showing his rear end, while playing with a yo-yo. :woot:"

In all seriousness they are an amazing type that I wish to own someday. And no.... I am not experienced enough to know what makes it unusual for the type.

Sorry .. sometimes I just can't help myself (and I really should learn ..)

bcuda, Broucheion and Roman Collector like this.
  12. Broucheion

Hi @dougsmit:

"The one below is a bit unusual …"

Is it because of the legend split? IVLIADO - MNAAVG

- Broucheion

13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Apart from a picture it's the only way I know to see both sides at the same time !

We all need excuses, don't we ?

:) Q

bcuda, Magnus87 and Spaniard like this.
  14. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@bcuda Nice coins!
    Completely agree!
    One of my main collecting areas is Kashmir, but this goes for any series of coins especially where the die size is always larger than the flan (still never understood why?)....I have multiple coins of the same ruler where the flan is offset revealing different details or more of the legend etc....For example...
    This was an upgrade on my less detailed Bhimagupta coin...
    But as you can see the new coin above although having much clearer detail has lost the'Gu'on the obverse. However it has gained the 'pta' on the reverse being offset to the left, so I guess I'll just keep them both.... (What you lose from one you gain from another).

1-20190324_1-bhim88-ccfopt.jpg

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Actually that is the legend split normal for the early coins of Domna. I have seen two coins that showed IVLIADOM - NAAVG and would really like to upgrade mine (worst known).
    rl5845bb3071.jpg

The coin I showed above is a Rome mint denarius with the drapery extending down on both sides over the column and by the lower end of the palm. This is normal for aurei, bronzes and denarii of the Eastern mints. Roman denarii usually have the drapery down only on one side and rarely show it on both on the same coin. Why? I have no idea but I do believe it is some code yet undeciphered.
    only over column at left
    rl5590bb0898.jpg

only on right rl5840bb0681.jpg

both sides but Eastern
    rk5240bb0682.jpg
    on an as (look closely on the right)
    rl6240b00466lg.jpg

My guess is that having no coin with the complete design would make mechanical counterfeiting the dies much more difficult.

16. Broucheion

@dougsmit: I love this level of analysis even when it's not an area I collect. Kudos!

- Broucheion

bcuda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted