Guess What This Is..Win a Prize

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cdb1950, Feb 7, 2005.

1. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Guess What This Coin Is..Win a Prize

This is a bust from a copper coin, a bit obscure, it is Non Circulating Legal Tender. Guess the country and denomination. A 1 year design, 19th century, western hemisphere. The piece shown is in my eclectic collection and I've seen a couple others. I showed it to Anthony Swiatek and he thought it was pretty neat, the best he had seen, though it is not a commemorative. This will not be so easy as the last 'Guess What' I listed. I think. The first 3 correct answers will win an old coin reference book. (There is more than 1 correct answer) When 3 correct answers are posted, the contest is over. Good luck!

Attached Files:

• bust.JPG
      bust.JPG
      File size:
      41.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Art

Art Numismatist?

I have a coin like that somewhere in my stacks. It's from Colombia or Peru. Can't remember which at the moment. I'll say Peru.

4. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

She looks like someone from the Harry Potter movies.

How about 1890 2 centavos from Mexico?

Norm

5. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Another hint: It fits snugly in a half dollar sized KoinTain.

6. knowtracks

knowtracks Senior Member

I have NO clue, but it sure is COOL. Can't wait to find out. Thanks, Dave

7. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Another hint:
    It was designed and minted in Europe by a private mint.
    Not a U.S. piece.
    Don't know if this helps or confuses....

8. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

OK, the monetary unit is centavo....

9. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

Looks Argentinian.

(Right or wrong, I appreciate, but am staying out of the contest)

10. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Another clue:
    This was issued for different states.

11. Defiant7

Defiant7 Enjoy the Insanity

I am going to take a shot in the dark I think it may be from Chile or Argentina a 20 or 50 centavos

12. neuron

neuron New Member

It looks similar to some Confederate States of America 1 cent coins, but of course that doesn't fit with your hints. :p

So, I'll take a wild shot in the dark... Brazil 500 Reis (even though that doesn't exactly fit with your hints, either!)

~neuron

13. Defiant7

Just Rembered you said copper, and I think these coins were silver, so I'm going to guess Argentina 2 centavos

14. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Well, this hint ought to end the contest real soon. I wanted 3 winners, but so far there is only one, though everyone seems to be on the right track.

15. neuron

neuron New Member

"Different states" could mean Estados Unidos Mexicanos (the United States of Mexico). Is that any closer?

Pathetically, my knowledge of history and geography is so poor that I can't think of any other "different states". :p

~neuron

16. Defiant7

Brazil's full name is Estados Unidos Brazil as well.

17. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Si. You're half way there...

18. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Mexico, copper, 19th century, 1 year design, issued to different states, monetary unit is centavo, already 1 correct answer, Non Circulating issue from Europe, half dollar size, and still looking for 2 more correct answers. Everyone seems to be on the right track. Got 2 more old coin reference books (good ones) to give away. A good deal for someone willing to do a little research. What is this coin? :confused:

Attached Files:

• bust.JPG
      bust.JPG
      File size:
      41.1 KB
      Views:
  19. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Do you want to tell us who got it right...then I'll email him/her and ask what is right :D :D
    JUST KIDDING....

Is it a Mexican coin or what country was it for?
    Speedy

20. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

The correct answer is already posted, the first winner has already been notified and that person's book is on the way. All the clues are already posted. Should be a piece of cake. Read through the thread and all the answers are there.

21. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well...I'm looking...since I don't have a Krase (Sp?) catalog with me it's getting hard....but I don't give up too easy--

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted