Guess the Grade---FBL's

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Speedy, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Howdy All,
    In THIS thread it was suggested that I post photos of the Bell Lines on the Franklin Halves that I just got back from NGC and see if ya'll can pick out what ones made FBL's and what ones didn't.

If you want to read alittle about the grading standers from NGC on grading FBL's and see a 1962-D that they graded last year as MS65FBL then you can check out this thread...
    http://www.cointalk.org/showthread.php?t=39736

This year/mint is kindof hard to get with FBL's and many times you will see coins with some weakness still grading FBL.

Sorry about the photos---I tried different lighting, different angles, etc...I'm just not as good as Mike ;)

Anyway---here they are:
    Post your guesses....the top photo is #1....and so on and so forth to the last one that is #8. Just post what numbers you think got the FBL grade.

Speedy

1 person likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

These are #6, #7, #8.

4. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I guess #5 and #8

stainless

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I'd say they all got graded, but that's just me.

7. Speedy

uh??? yes they all got graded....but that wasn't what you were looking for. The question was: what ones got the FBL grade? If you read the posts I linked to you will see that out of THESE 8 coins only 2 of them got that grade.

Speedy

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

sorry

OH! I'm sorry:bow:

9. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Coin #1 - No FBL. There is several areas along bell line #3 that are not separated.

Coin #2 - No FBL. There is a major hit across the bell lines #4 & #5 and this should rule out the FBL designation.

Coin #3 - No FBL. There is a major hit across the bell lines #2 & #3 and again, this should rule out the FBL designation.

Coin #4 - No FBL. Way too many hits across the upper bell lines that remove the separation of the lines.

Coin #5 - No FBL. Way too many hits across the lower bell lines that remove the separation of the lines.

Coin #6 - FBL. While it does have a large hit across the upper lines, there does not appear to be enough "damage: to distort the line separation.

Coin #7 - No FBL. Way too many hits across the lower bell lines and there is some strike non-separation on the upper bell lines.

Coin #8 - FBL. Looks like most FBLs look like. There are some hits across the upper bell lines and a little strike weakness in the lower lines near the bell break, but I think this coin makes it.

It would not surprise me if I guessed incorrectly. The TPG can be very inconsistent in awarding these designations.

If you're trying for the FBL designation, use PCGS as they are so much easier on it than NGC. NGC can be insanely tough on these designations.

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

no 2 and no 8

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

LOL - I can see good enough so I will guess #1 and #6. The bottom bell lines are too dark for my old eyes.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'll say it's 2 and 8.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

#3 + # 8
    rzage

15. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I'll say #2, and #8. Nice coins! :thumb: (My fav is of course, #8. :D)

Phoenix :cool:

16. Speedy

I'll post the correct # later on today---so if anyone else wants to get in on this you better do it now :D

Speedy

17. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I'm going to guess 2 and 8.

18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I say 2 and 6.

19. Speedy

And the ONLY person who got it right was GREG!!!
    6 and 8.

I have seen some Franklins with alot more nicks get FBL than some of these....
    Looking back I do agree that #4 & 5 were not FBL.
    I really think a few of the others could have made it---the way I understand NGC's standers is that as long as the marks are close to the crack in the middle, or really close to either side, they aren't counted against the FBL grade as much. That is why a few of those went.

Am I mad at NGC?? Nope.... I'm more disappointed in my grading than anything. I hope that as time goes on I'm able to learn more and more about the art of grading, and maybe one day will be able to call the grades like Greg did!!

Speedy

20. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Cool. I've been waiting for you to post the answers! I looked at these before but didn't make a guess. The last ones stood out but I kept looking at them and talking myself out of it. I am surprised 8 got it. It is interesting that 6 is close to the standard.

I have a BU 48 and a 48 D in the album and one of them has the best lines of any one I have. It has not been graded but I think it would get it. I'll have to post a pic some time. I have several that have been graded FBL and I think it's better than them.

This is a good thread for the archives.

21. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

WOW - with the ding across all three lines - and a little flat left of the crack I am surprised. I would have guessed 5 or 2 as I though they were the next two closest. 8 was a given but the second - I would not have guessed 6... It was very strong to the right so maybe that helped? It was a great learning exercise - thank you Speedy for posting them this way!

Draft saved Draft deleted