[CLOSED] Guess the fake - Silver Eagle

Discussion in 'Contests' started by wcoins, Apr 12, 2014.

?

Do you think any of the coins pictured is fake? Which?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2014.
  1. Coin 1 is fake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Coin 2 is fake

23 vote(s)
    92.0%
  3. Both coins are fake

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Both coins are authentic

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Number two is a really bad counterfeit job, there are a dozen obvious mistakes. The shield on the reverse should have 13 strips, the G in God We Trust on the face looks like a C, the L in liberty is wrong, the three Os in of, oz, and one don't match, the r in liberty can barely be read, the designers initials are way too large, and the periods separating the top and bottom are way too big, the stars in the flag over Liberty look terrible, the lines in her dress are not fine enough, the detail is not in the eagle's wings, and the olive branch has the incorrect number of leaves. However the Number one coin is ALSO a fake, ASEs are minted at West Point and carry the W mint mark, not the P for Pennsylvania, also the stars on the first coin over the eagle look too small to me.

Zorrbabe likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I love these types of guessing games

Zorrbabe likes this.
  4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Even when the answer was given two years ago?

Zorrbabe likes this.
  5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sorry, but you should have done your homework first. There are 2000 P issues, regular strike and proof, but no 2000 W issues.
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1493.html

Nathan401 likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

One of these dated 2015 was written up in Numismatic News.

7. Insider

Mature reply w/no colors or faces::( OK just one.

Do you see what the posters have pointed out. These coins will fool a lot of people who don't know what the GENUINE coin looks like. Contest should have been more difficult if only the fake obverse was shown. Possibly more posters would have agreed with you.

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

LOL .. late to the game but the Reverse gave it away for me irregardless of the Mint.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I sure missed that one. Teaches me to be in such a hurry. I thought it was just a funky image. Didn't figure someone would bother to fake one of these.
    What would be the proper term for this thing. Fake, fantasy or something else?

Zorrbabe likes this.
  10. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Now as a follow-up to the question asked and, although many have expressed their opinion of the coins, give the precise information which makes one fake and the other real. Someone who wants to simply scan through a post like this will not see the answer posted here. As for my thoughts with them I was saying number two was fake because of the lose lines in the skirt compared to the tight lines of number one.

11. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

12. quick_change

quick_change Member

#2 is a fake. Yes, I know Im late. But I just wanted to add my 2 cents!

13. Insider

Try: "COUNTERFEIT" but "fake" covers it all. ;)

14. bgkentucky123

bgkentucky123 Member

Good lord there are fake American silver eagles? that is what I collect. how can I tell? I buy them at the local coinstore here in bowling green Kentucky.

Zorrbabe likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Most of the fakes are so infantile in nature that a cave man could tell........buy your bullion from a trusted dealer.

Insider likes this.
  16. bgkentucky123

bgkentucky123 Member

green18 I buy from larry at a+ coins in bowling green Kentucky. and I've heard about dave's pawnshop in russleville. do you know larry? he has a lot of coins.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I live on Long Island....... devil.gif

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The safest bet is buying from a respectable dealer...but how to determine who is reputable and who isn't. You have some ASE's now, carry one with you when you are going to buy new ones and compare the two. Another way is to weigh the coins. An investment in a cheap scale could pay for itself.

19. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

And Florida. Otherwise known as Snowbird Ken.

green18 likes this.
  20. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

FUNNY stuff, always check, for the one single feather, overlapping the front shield

Zorrbabe likes this.
  21. Puravida

Puravida New Member

The coin on the right is fake. The font is different, it is not as detailed, the left foot looks bigger and the sun does looks puffy. Additionally, the one in the left looks like a proof, the one in the right has an uneven background as reflecting waves. The price of the original must be around $65, the fake... silver + spot? $17. Fun exercise. Thank You!

Zorrbabe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.