greek coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by malcom*, May 7, 2005.

1. malcom*

malcom* New Member

I have recently found some coins and am wondering about a greek (or so i think) coin i have have found. I haven't got a picture of it yet but will describe it to the best of my ability.

The front reads "ΚΡΗΤΙΚΗ ΠΟΛΙΤΕΙΑ" across the top and has a crown pictured in the centre.

The back reads "20 ΛΕΠΤΑ" and has what i think is a mint mark of "A" in the bottom centre.

The date is 1900

i was wondering if anyone could identify this coin,it would be greatly apreciated...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tbirde

Tbirde Senior Member

Crete, 20 lepta, copper-nickel, KM#5, 1.25 million minted, Paris mint (A).

4. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Nice work with the Greek alphabet, there Malcolm!
    The coin is from Crete (ΚΡΗΤΙΚΗ = Cretan. Kreti = Crete)

Even after Greek independence in 1821, Crete was still part of the Ottoman Empire ("Turkey"). Crete revolted in 1896-1897 and Greece declared war on Turkey and was (according to the Columbia Desk Encyclopedia) "utterly defeated." However, (again CDE) the Great Powers occupied Crete and it joined Greece in 1913. Your coin was struck during this "Great Powers" (I read that as "UK") occupation of Crete.

This series of 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20 lepta is in the same general style as the Greek coins of the time. The coins of Greece say BASILEION THS ELLADOS (Kingdom of the Greeks) while those of Crete say "Cretan Polity" (to Anglicize the inscription).

Mintages of Cretan coins were necessarily small, making this something of a rarity. Prices vary with grade, of course, but in middle grade (Fine) this is probably a $10 retail item.

Nice catch!

5. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

Your reading is correct. At this time in history, it was vitally important to the British to keep the Mediterranean open and peaceful (it, along with the Suez Canal, was the "shortcut" to India). Instability, particularly in the eastern end, would have threatened the life-line to that "jewel of the crown."

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

The ruler of Crete who is depicted on the Cretan silver coins - 1 Drachma,2 Drachmai,& 5 Drachmai is Prince George of Greece,who
    was High Commissioner,I think.Can anyone else please confirm?

Aidan.

Draft saved Draft deleted