Grade this Peace Dollar:

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by WashQuartJesse, May 25, 2009.

1. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Here is a circulated 1921 Peace Dollar for consideration. Is this style holder considered safe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Goldstone

Goldstone Digging for Gold

in my eyes EF40/AU50, but im not sure what the scratch across the face would take off

IMO I AM NOT A SKILLED GRADER BY ANY MEANS I JUST LOOKED IN THE RED BOOK

4. Wren

Wren Senior Member

Peace is clearly visible it has not rubbed away so that will keep the value up some, on an actual grade i am not to skilled enough to give one yet, but Goldstone sounds right

5. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I am going to have to say VF-30 due to the bad cut on Miss Liberty's hair and Crown and the hit on her' cheek area! If it were not for these, then it would go EF-40.

Frank

6. WashQuartJesse

This one really has me boggled so I appreciate your responses and hope to here more! The coin has a fair amount of remaining luster not apparant in the photos.

Is the crack a result of minting or circulation?

7. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I'd give it a xf 40 grade. The wear on the coin isn't too bad, but someone sure abused this lady. The holder is safe.

8. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

A lot. This is a seriously troubled coin.

XF details, bad scratch / dent, net F12

9. raider34

raider34 Active Member

It looks like a large scratch on the obv. I would say it has XF details, but would be a no grade because of the scratch.

10. WashQuartJesse

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Agree, XF details but damaged. Net grade low VF at best and probably F.

12. WashQuartJesse

Thanks everyone. I purchased this about 12 years ago for $34.00. Unfortunately I can not say what it was graded by the dealer at that time. I'll hold on to her until she decides to hit the road. At least I don't have to worry about you guys eyeballin' her.

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Jesse, at least the value of circulated 1921 Peace Dollars is relatively flat across the grades. $120 in G and $190 in AU, so I don't think it's too bad. The coin will definitely NOT sell for "book" value due to the damage, but even if you downgrade it to F (worst case) $130 or VF at $140, it's a solid keeper.

14. WashQuartJesse

15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

The holder you have it in will pop open if dropped , other than that it's pretty safe , still I would change it to an airtite or InterceptShield holders .
    rzage

16. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

I'd have to say VF-35/40 details, net VF-20 from damage.

Nice coin! :thumb:

17. toledodude721

toledodude721 New Member

I love these peace dollars, I got to go with XF 40 due to scratch marks, maybe lower

Draft saved Draft deleted