Grade opinions on this 1883 cc morgan?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zaneman, Jan 31, 2006.

1. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

The other day I noticed a guy had a ton of GSA morgan's for sale on ebay, for 220 a piece. I looked through about 15, and noticed that this one was particularly shiny, so I bought it. It's definitely a DMPL! So I'm pretty happy. I believe it will come back as a 63, maybe a 64? Any opinions?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Hmmm, the pics won't open for me. From what I see MS-63-PL. OOPS, there it went. OK, how about MS-64-DMPL

B

4. Richard01

Richard01 Senior Member

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

MS 62 is my guess

6. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Nice Morgan.....MS-64. B12

7. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I consistently see these coins selling for less than grey sheet, and ideas why this is?

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Wow - the Obverse eagle is AWESOME but why in the world do you think it will come in as a 63 or 64? Look at all those scratches.

Ruben

9. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

VAM 5A. Oh, you were asking about a grade. MS63-PL.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

OK

Why?

12. youngcollector

youngcollector U.S. coin collecter

I'll go with MS-62 PL

13. GDJMSP

MS63 - a mint state coin with attractive mint luster, but noticeable contact marks or minor blemmishes

Contact Marks - may have distracting marks in prime focal areas

Hairlines - may have a few scattered or a small patch in secondary areas

Luster - may be original or slightly impaired

Eye Appeal - rather attractive

That's word for word from the ANA Grading guide. That's why.

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I can respect that, but those scratch marks on the face, IMO, aren't minor and are numerous. I can't see this as anything more than a 61. The reverse of this coin is awesome.

15. GDJMSP

Yeah I figured as much. But what you are calling scratch marks I would call bag marks. You could be right, but the vast majority of the time a pic exaggerates these marks on the cheek of a Morgan and it doesn't look that way at all in hand - I'm just taking that into account.

It's just that simple, I've kinda learned how to adjust for pics - most of the time it works. It sure took long enough though.

16. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

The picture definitely hugely exaggerates the scratches. Here is a scan of the coin, which is much different.

Attached Files:

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I don't think I need to tell you how I feel about your grading of coins, and amazing talent for grading off these photographs and scans. I neverr ask anyone else why they grade something as they do because, frankly, I doubt they have a consistent educated methodology!

This took me by suprise, however. When I cruise Heritage, the difference between the 60-61's and 63+s is almost always bag marks. Remember that hillarious thread about the guy who purchased that poor Morgan GSA coin titled "Worlds uglyiest mint Morgan" or some such title.

I thought that maybe you felt those scratches were more superficial that they look in the photo. But even still, there is still a lot of them. I bow to your expertise :}

Ruben

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Can I see a bigger photo of the reverse? That Eagle is really well struck.

Ruben

19. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

20. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Ruben,

I'm with you on this one. People almost always grade Morgans higher than I would, even following the official ANA Grading Guide. To me, this coin shouldn't be over an MS62. Now, that's not to say it's not a nice coin. Like GD said, this might just be from the way that Morgans look in most photographs. I also think that the design is just very prone to bag marks on the cheek and neck, so they always look "scratched up" to me too.

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted