Grade Guess 1878-S Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bonedigger, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Grade Guess 1878-S Morgan (GRADE REVEALED)

Here is one I've waited for a LONG time to post. This will definitely make you wonder. It's an 1878-S Morgan dollar that's beginning to tone up nicely which was graded by ANACS. What would you think it will grade at?

Take Care
    Bone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Coins like that are tougher based on pics you need to see them in hand. Kind curious to see what the consensus will be on this one.

4. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I'm going to guess a 64/ maybe a 65, assuming that is a crack on the front of the slab and not the biggest scratch ever.

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Yes, the large scratch is on the plastic. There are other minor scratches on the plastic as I think it an older ANACS grading.

B

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This one's a real tough call - the light is bright enough to possibly wash out details. The hair and breast look to show wear. I have a number of these in MS, and all show a better strike.

Based strictly on the pictures, I don't think it's an MS coin. I'll say AU58 from ANACS. If it is MS based on details I can't see, no better than 62.

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I would have to see the coin in hand.....but I don't think its UNC from the hair...

Speedy

8. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

I agree with Speedy.There's definitely some wear on the hair.So some where in the high AUs. B12

9. julzboi661

julzboi661 New Member

MS-66. What?? you said it would make us guess! :D

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

11. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

[​IMG]

MS-62 according to ANACS.

Bone

12. b.j.

b.j. Senior Member

I would say around an MS-62

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Comnparing it to my photos of Morgans I say MS63

14. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I'd say based on the holder, it's an ms-62 :)

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

That's the first one I've gotten wrong.

I blame the photos! :whistle:

Bonedigger, You have the coin in hand... Why do you think it got a 62? Impared luster? Too many hits?

Thanks for sharing...Mike

16. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I'd say the hit's, a good example of a true MS-62.

B

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, I always blame the pics too :D

Seriously though, that's why I made the comment I did in my first post. In my opinion coins in the AU58 - MS62 range are among the toughest there are to grade. It's just too easy for the coin to go either way. In this example I would have said AU58. That's because in some areas the breaks in luster could be interpretted as light wear. Even with the coin in hand - it's hard to tell in many cases.

And it's also quite common for an AU58 coin to look much better than one graded MS60 thru MS62. Sometimes they even look better than an MS63. That's because light wear on a high point will drop the grade below MS, but all the dings, small hits etc. commonly found on low grade MS coins are not present on the AU58 coin at all and so it look better than it's higher graded counterparts.

Most of the time I think the better grading companies get these right. But every so often I find myself disagreeing with their opinion. Of course that is true with higher grades as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted