Grade and identification, please.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CohibaCris, Jun 10, 2004.

1. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Looking for honesty here.
    I was reviewing my coins, and found one I need your input on...
    1. What grade would you attribute to this coin?
    2. Can anyone identify the type of error encircling the reverse, on the letters? I think it is a die crack, but I am unsure....

Thanks!
    Cris

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Yes that is a monster die crack running around the reverse. I really can't make out the obverse pics too well. Looks a bit blurry around the hair. Could be the pic or wear, I can't tell. This laptop doesn't like photos too much.

4. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

I will try and take better pics and post them later. It looks like the die was rolled pressed, and de-laminated or something....

5. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Are these pics better?

Attached Files:

6. National dealer

Looks a little better. I would say based on the photos that it is a MS-63. Looks a little weak on the breast feathers, which is common for New Orleans. A few bag marks on the face and the area directly in front of it. A few nicks on the rim. Of course, I can't tell what kind of luster the coin has, but a 63 should be pretty safe.

7. cdcda

cdcda New Member

I agree MS63 based on the cheek. Check your VAM book and you should be able to identify this variety based on the die crack.

8. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

There isn't really anything regarding die cracks in the "big book". There is mention in Chapter 7 on die cracks, but no VAM identification.

9. National dealer

Should be in the top 100.

10. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

I can't find it - there are only 2 VAMs on the 1899 coins in the Top 100. Neither of them match the die crack description.

Frankly, I am beginning to wonder if Van Allen and Mallis consider die cracks for VAM numeration???? I can't find one out of this monster book....

11. cdcda

cdcda New Member

Interesting, I did not look before I spoke. I thought the 1899-O had a few less common varieties that could be identified by the die crack or cracks on the reverse legend, but I guess I was wrong. Possibly I was thinking of another date/mint mark - who knows! I will have to go back and look.

Draft saved Draft deleted