Got Grades, New Discoveries - Jefferson Varieties

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtwax, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jtwax

jtwax Senior Member

Sent a few nickel varieties into CONECA for attribution and ended up with 7 new discoveries out of a 20 coin lot. Here are the results:

1940-S New Listing. DDO-002, 2-O-II-C, Stage A, EMDS
    1948-S New Listing. RPM-007, S/S South, Stage B, MDS
    1955-D New Listing. DDR-008, 8-R-II-C, Stage B, MDS
    1959-D New Listing. DDR-002, 2-R-II-C, Stage A, EMDS
    1959-D New Listing. DDR-003, 3-R-II-C, Stage B, MDS
    1970-S New Listing. DDO-003, 3-O-II-C, Stage A, EDS
    1974-D New Listing. MDO-001, 1-O-VI, EDS

As well I just recieved my last submission back from SEGS and here are the results (40 Day TAT):

1938 DDO-003A 5 Steps/Nicks MS65
    1938 DDR-001B MS64
    1939 DDR-007 Type-2 MS64
    1939 DDR-010B Discovery 5 Steps/Nicks MS63
    1940 DDO-002 Proof 6 Steps PR63
    1942-P/P RPM-001 5 Steps MS64
    1942-D/D RPM-002 5 Steps/Nicks AU58
    1943-S DDO-004 5 Steps/Bridges MS63
    1943-S DDO-005 5 Steps/Bridge/Ticks MS64
    1944-S DDR-002 MS64
    1945-P/P RPM-007 5 Steps 5% Clip @K-5 MS64
    1945-P DDO-008A MS64
    1945-P/P RPM-013 Obv/Rev Laminations MS64
    1945-P/P RPM-018/DDR-009 MS64
    1945-P/P RPM-057/DDO-002C MS64
    1945-P/P RPM-077B Discovery MS64
    1945-D/D RPM-002C/DDO-005 5 Steps/Bridges MS64
    1945-D/D RPM-021C 5 Steps MS64
    1945-D DDO-011C MS65
    1946-S/S RPM-005A Discovery MS64

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Looks like to did A-O-K!!!!

How do you rate SEGS??
    Just wondering.
    Speedy

4. jtwax

jtwax Senior Member

Thanks Speedy. I rate SEGS at the top of the list for me. I have over 200 dies in SEGS holders and continue to submit to them....

5. Speedy

Thanks....so you agree with the grades they assign?
    I have seen a few SEGS slabs but the coins are never coins that have much value....like State Quarters etc etc--

Speedy

6. dm1299

dm1299 New Member

Excellent work, Jason!!!
    Seven discoveries is quite an accomplishment.

For my part, I also have been pleased with SEGS.
    Larry Briggs has done the grading on mine.
    I would say that he is a conservative grader and knows his Jefferson Nickel varieties.

I am still working on the Top 100 List.
    Three new acquisitions: 1946 D/Inverted D, 1971 No S Proof. I pick them up tomorrow. Also have a 1939 Proof Reverse of 1940 ordered.

At the last show here in St. Louis last weekend, I hit a pretty good streak of cherry picking and picked up two more Top 100 varieties in addition to others. Also hit a run of 1943-D DDR-001's. Purchased several of them. Just wished I had had more time....

I haven't submitted any lately, but now, you've peaked my interest.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan Marion

7. Speedy

Dan
    Do you mean to say that everybody knows who grades what??
    That would be weird..... ;)

Speedy

8. IvanV

IvanV New Member

Hey jtwax, very nice man! also what kind coin/medal is in your avatar? A nickel right?! can you throw some light about it?

Thanks,

Ivan

9. Speedy

Ivan
    I know I'm not JTWAX but I think I know what it is...this is the back for the origional Jefferson Nickel...the mint changed it to look like it did from 1938-2003....I may be wrong...
    Speedy

10. IvanV

IvanV New Member

Thanks Speedy!...so...is not posible to get them? maybe repros? or any special edition proof or something like that? It looks real nice!

11. Speedy

I don't know if you can get repros or not...JT will know--
    Speedy

12. IvanV

IvanV New Member

ok, thanks. I'll wait for his reply then. ;)

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I may be wrong, but I think the reason Jason uses SEGS is because they offer variety attributions that other grading companies do not offer. And to a variety collector, that's pretty important.

You are correct Speedy, that is the original reverse design for the Jefferson nickel. If I remember correctly it was produced and sold by the Full Step Nickel Club. Not sure if they have any more available - but you could check their web site.

14. Speedy

GDJMSP
    I see what you mean...looking at Jason's web-site I think the re-pro is still available....

Speedy

15. jtwax

jtwax Senior Member

I would have to admit that I do not always agree on the grading on some of my SEGS nickels but then again I don't agree on the grading on alot of other slabbed nickels either.

The main reason I use them is for thier attribution abilities, step count grading, holder style, and price. (In that order). I have personally talked with Larry recently and he said that he verifies all attributions and if there is a discrepency we talk it out (email or phone) before anything is put on the holder. Larry is really a nice guy. I always send in my varieties with the respective page referencing that particular variety (IE: A copy of a page from the Cherry Pickers Guide or whatever other book) that way they know what I am looking at and it saves me $1 per coin as well.

My avatar is that of the original design that Felix Schlag submitted for the Jefferson nickel. They were re-produced in 2002 by the Full Step Nickel Club (FSNC) in matte and proof finishes and are slabbed by SEGS. They are still available and are a really neat coin! You can get the order form from my site here: LINK

Dan, WOW on your new Jeff varieties arriving!!! I have yet to get any of those examples in BU. They are pretty much just out of my reach price wise for now. Someday tho.... CONGRATS! I am about 3/4 of the way to having the Top-100. Definately glad to hear your getting more renewed interest!

I have been concentrating on the lesser known Jeff varieties for some time now and have well over 400 dies. Because of all the new discoveries on a regular basis one will never be able to get a complete collection but it has been quite fun attributing and collecting some of the toughies. It's neat to get a new scarce variety that should be worth 3 times what a "Doubled Monticello" or "Doubled Eye" Jeff is worth. I recenty picked up the VERY tough 1952-S/S RPM-001. Check out the seperation on this baby! It's a nice early die state to boot. Paid $40 for her...

[​IMG]

Thanks for all your interests!!!

16. IvanV

IvanV New Member

Nice! thanks for the info ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted