Good News for First Spouse Collectors

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jaceravone, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Just nice to see the price of gold tank here in the past few days. For us First Spouse collectors, this is welcomed news. As most collectors know, the price of precious metal coins purchased through the mint could have their price changed on a weekly basis depending on the London Fix Average. In the last few weeks, we saw the price of gold rise thus increasing the purchase price of the First Spouse coins, which were coincendently pushed back to a July 1st release date. Early last week, the London Fix Average was near $960, thus pushing any precious metal coins to the next pricing level. As I write this, the London Fix Average is $932. Assuming that the price of gold stays where it is, the mint will have to lower their sales prices this coming Thursday to reflect their new sales tiers. As far as I am aware, the mint has done a great job sticking to their new pricing tiers and adjusting the price only when the price of gold crosses their set marks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Man i wish i could have gotten in on the First Spouse coins... it was a cool concept, with some nice designs!

Unfortunately, so much gold is out of my budget.. heck... any gold is out of my budget.. but when there was talk of a silver version - that got my attention!

4. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Well I had 4 and sold em...why did I do that?? :goofer: :goofer:

RickieB

5. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

one of the best design coin in the world. the spouses.

6. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

in my opinion they're one of the ugliest, there are many more nicer designs...

7. Argento

Argento Perplexed

I'm with CoinKeeper on this one, just hideous coins as a rule.

The exception being, for my tastes, Jefferson's Liberty.

8. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Because there were a few pieces of paper, grading choice uncirculated paper that is, CALLING, SCREAMING FOR YOU! :D

9. tmoneyeagles

OUCH!
    So you think the Jefferson, Jackson, and Van Buren liberty are all ugly? Well that is a slap in the face to Draped Bust, Capped Bust, and Seated Liberty coins! :eek:

It is okay first spouse coins, I am here, don't listen to them, you are beautiful! LOL :hug:

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I bought a Jefferson's Liberty because I liked the design....and because my dealer had one he was going to melt. I stole it from him at the spot melt price of $440. :kewl:

11. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I do believe that this will be one of those sets of coins whose true value will not be determined for many, many years to come. I don't think there will be any middle ground here.... either they will be worth a ton of money or they will be worth melt. Only time will tell.

And I agree.....not the most attractive coins in the world, but definitely, some of the most original.

Here is my take on this.... with the release of the Harrison First Spouse, we have seen roughly just over 4,000 proofs and 2,000 uncs. So think about this for a moment.....assuming that out of the 4,000+ proofs that sold, each one went to a individual owner then, theoretically, we may only see only 4,000 or so complete proof sets. But we know that not all these went to individual owners... some went to dealers, so the possibility that less than 4,000 complete sets does exist. The same goes for the UNCs, but even less of those exist! So like I mentioned above, 20 or 30 years from now, this set could be a huge thing... or it could be one big bust! Only time will tell.

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I have a set of Jefferson's Libertys (unc and proof) that's going to melt soon, too. Nobody seems to want them as coins and I need a new roof, so off they go...

13. Siwash

Siwash Senior Member

I agree with the above comment that it's a long-term all or nothing proposition.

I also agree the designs could look better. MUCH better. The whole presidential series aesthetics is disagreeable to my taste. . . starting with the highly unusual (for coin design) tactic of doing portraits instead of profiles. This gives it a weird first impression, since we're accustomed to profiles, and helps make one think unconsciously that they're tokens of some sort.

It's catch as catch can, when using the dollar, since the profile and the actual dollar sign on the back, make it look like you're trying to pawn off a trick of some sort.

And heck, we have too many things with presidents on them anyway. I do like the notion of presidential spouses exactly because they're not so overexposed.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Thus far, the only one I've purchased......:)

15. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I guess I should also mention as a follow up to my statement about complete sets..... I am guestimating that there is only 4,000 or so complete proof sets and 2000 or so complete unc sets....this is at max, based on current production numbers. So, for arguements sake, lets say that there are a total of 4000 complete proof sets that collectors have..... how many of these will still be intact 20 or 30 years from now? I am betting that there will a lot less complete sets than we realize 30 years from now. Who knows.....might turn into the rarity! ;) :D

16. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

30 years! I will be dead by then!

17. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Come on now, we want to keep mintages low on these ugly coins. If these guys do not like them so much the better.

18. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I defintely agree!

19. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Any pics on Lady Liberty #4 next year ?????

Can't wait for Jackie O..........:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

20. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

No pics that I am aware of. I had heard a rumor a while back that they may not even have a Lady Liberty for next years coin. I haven't heard anything since.

21. tmoneyeagles

AHHHHHH! Don't say that! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted