??golden kennedy half dollar??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by moneyfan, Apr 18, 2008.

1. moneyfan

moneyfan collector of coins/bills

i found a gold kennedy half dollar, i didnt know the bep made them. its a 1981 D, maybe ms-65/67. its just pretty. my book says thats it worth $1.25. do you agree?
    all my coin books say nothing of golden kennedys, my book just has the dates and says nothing of golden. have u heard of any.
    any info on this coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jmc7983

jmc7983 Senior Member

none minted so it is either an error or post mint damage, my guess would be clad layer missing. anyone else?

4. moneyfan

if u scroll down a little you will get this post. golden kennedys are real.
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Coin-Collecting-2297/Kennedy-half-dollar-coin.htm

this is what he said.

"My grand mother gave me tis Kennedy half dollar coin. It's gold colored"

5. jmc7983

jmc7983 Senior Member

and i quote the answer from that site:

"it is not a Kennedy half dollar. What it is is a one piece medal, made I believe in 1964 in Canada to honor president Kennedy. It is all one piece, which is why I call it a medal. You see this for sale on eBay on occasion and it sells for around $10 give or take a few dollars. It comes in this golden color and also in a silver color."

okay even if this was just a medal, you said the coin is from a different date so this link would not apply. but as stated before like i said, there was NEVER a golden half Kennedy from the mint in any year (unless you count the Franklin mint as a bonefide mint). they are only gold plated at most and even then they hold no numismatic value, only novelty value for a few bucks. sorry but that's the way the ball rolls.

John

6. moneyfan

and i quote from the same message. . .
    My grand mother gave me tis Kennedy half dollar coin. It's gold colored. With the bust of Kennedy on the front and the seal of the United States of America on the back. On the front of the coin it says " Kennedy coin memorial" Sudbury Canada" minted in 1964. have you ever seen this type of coin and if so can you give me some information about it. Thank you very much, Johnny

i think u look at wrong post.

7. jmc7983

jmc7983 Senior Member

go too the site you directed me too and scroll down for your answer, it tells you what it is :) sorry if i am missunderstanding you, but what it comes down too is its not a mint issued coin

http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-BICN-JFK-H...ryZ41104QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/1971-Kennedy-Half-Old-Scool-24k-Gold-Plated-Nice_W0QQitemZ130215808602QQihZ003QQcategoryZ41104QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gold-Plated-in-24-Kt-Gold-1983-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-Cert_W0QQitemZ280217475360QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41104QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

8. moneyfan

i dont know, i only know what i see. it looks so real.

9. jmc7983

jmc7983 Senior Member

go too the ebay listings i listed in my last post too get a better idea. hope this helped bud, although it is not mint issued it is always a cool conversation piece too have or too look at.

10. moneyfan

11. jmc7983

jmc7983 Senior Member

If that is what you have, then it is legal tender in all forms, but i wouldnt spend it, it will always hold a value higher of that too which you would spend it at a store or such. all that company did was take a mint issued Kennedy and gold plate it, sorry if i led you too believe that the coin itself was not a mint issued coin. but yup it is worth .50 if you take it and spend it but as a novely item it is worth a couple dollars. good find :) sorry for any confusion.

12. moneyfan

sure, no big deal. im glad it real. and theres no way i would spend it. gold plated, so the coin itself is not golden like prez coin and sacagwea?
    once again no biggy for the confuson

13. jmc7983

jmc7983 Senior Member

If i remember right the sacs and pres. are manganese/brass and the kennedys are a copper/ nickle so yup they are totally different.

14. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

There is no gold in the pres and sac coins.

15. jmc7983

jmc7983 Senior Member

I believe he means gold in color not composition :)

16. Oldman

Oldman New Member

In reply to:

[​IMG] ??golden kennedy half dollar??
    i found a gold kennedy half dollar, i didnt know the bep made them. its a 1981 D, maybe ms-65/67. its just pretty. my book says thats it worth $1.25. do you agree?

A collcetible is worth what a person will pay for it. Its one of the oldest saying in collecting anything not just coin's. In my prospective a list value is a coin is simply that. A rough idea of what others are buying them at or around. What something is worth is as subjective as gradeing. IMHO

Also I have never heard of a golden Kennedy half dollar. Other then one getting elecrtoplayed.

17. HelloNewman

HelloNewman New Member

Could this coin be a gold plated novelty that Littleton sells? I have four that my grandfather bought some time ago and I think Littleton still sells them along with gold plated Morgans, Peaces, buffalo nickels, mercury dimes, etc, etc, etc................

18. jmc7983

jmc7983 Senior Member

read the rest of the thread, already determined that it is in fact what you said.

19. moneyfan

i said golden not gold.

20. Paul B.

Paul B. New Member

21. Tivo

Tivo New Member

DSCF3623.JPG DSCF3633.JPG Does your coin have other STAMPED dates on it??
    I now have four 24kt Gold ElectroPlated Kennedy Half Dollars and they came with a certificate. See my images

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted