Gold over $700.00

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Sep 7, 2007.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

can silver catch up with the gold. if the gold- silver ratio is just like before 16 to 1. the silver should worth $43.75 per ounce today.

tell us how you can predict the silver?.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Maybe it means that gold is too high and silver is correctly valued. Possibly gold should drop back to the 200 to 250 range. 16 to 1 is a meaningless ratio anyway.

4. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

I don't think silver and gold should be tied to each other. People in countries that are getting wealthier, want jewelry made of gold, not silver. I can see the price of gold being supported and increased for a long time. Silver is already being weakly supported and I wouldn't be surprised to see it just tank. Gold is the way to go....

I used to be a silvrluvr...but that is changing and I'll need a new username very soon...LOL

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

In today's society, the 16:1 ration is meaningless and has not even been approached in the recent past.

from 1999 to 2005 the worldwide use of silver has dropped by about 30 % in the photographic industry. That drop equates to 10 % the worlds total annual consumption of silver. There is still another 20 % of the annual production used for photography. Anyone want to guess how long it will be before that number is essentially 0?. Until that happens, the price of silver is going nowhere fast.

6. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Hi Elaine,

The others make good points. There's a lot of thought that the historical ratios don't really matter today due to a lot of supply/demand issues. Personally, I disagree. Historically, the ratio has been 1:15-20. Right now it's 1:55 with a high last year of 1:75 or so. During the great bull market of the last 70's, gold peaked in 1980 at ~$850 while silver peaked at ~$50. Note that this was a two fold increase for gold, but a TEN fold increase for silver. And the peak ratio was . . . . . . 1:17.

All this said, who can really predict when, how much, etc. I sure can't. I can put my best guess on things and invest accordingly - and that's about it. So, I'm overweight silver relative to gold in my investments.

good luck,

rono

7. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Silver peaking at $50 in 1980 is totally meaningless...Hunt brothers....Dealers would only give you $35/oz. because the market was so volatile. There's a zillion times more silver in the ground than there is gold....

8. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

got any leads on places to dig?

9. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

No. But I think more silver comes out of the ground when people are looking for copper....

10. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

How many zeroes in a zillion?

11. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

12. pupa

pupa Senior Member

That many huh?

13. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Not that many, but quite a few...LOL

14. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

My 10 year-old son knows the biggest number: googol infinity.

That's googol to the infinity power.

15. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Googlplex (1 followed by a google zeros) to the infinite power would be much larger, but still nowhere as large as infinity to the infinite power!

16. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

While there may be many fortunes worth of silver in the ground, the vast majority of it requires chemical extraction rather than actual mining. It will take a continued increase in the price of silver to justify more and more complicated methods for extracting it.

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

silver:
    WILL go Up, down or stary the same.

That is the best ahtt I can do.
    (kinda the same with gold).

18. paland

paland New Member

I'm not sure, but there must be a zillion of them.

OK: I answered this before reading on and seeing that others beat me to it.

19. paland

paland New Member

Actually, anything to the infinity power would all be equal. Infinity. So a googleplex to an infinite power would be the same as 2 to the infinite power. The only difference would be zero or one to the infinite power. Those two would still be zero and one.

20. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

It looks like silver has outperformed gold percentage wise so based on that it has been the better investment.

Attached Files:

21. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Yes, but an infinite sum does not always equal infinity.

Who ever can tell me why (I know why) wins a pat on the back.

Draft saved Draft deleted