"Gold Has Never Been Worth Zero"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Billincolo, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Billincolo

Billincolo Senior Member

Does anyone else think this is just about the stupidest line they've ever heard anyone utter about an investment?

Isn't this like saying, "Buy my house ... it'll never be worth Zero!"

All the "buy gold" commercials on TV cable news channels say it:
    "Gold has never been worth Zero!"

Good grief, I certainly HOPE not!

Why do they say such a ridiculous line, as if that's supposed to encourage people to pay $1K per ounce or more plus shipping?

Or am I missing some valid point of some kind?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

Well, when you compare gold to alternative investments, such as bonds and stocks, which do have the potential to end up being worth zero, its certainly a valid, if somewhat obvious selling point.......

4. mcarney1173

mcarney1173 Senior Member

By saying that "gold will never be worth zero" seems like they truly believe that gold will go down, but not enough to make it worthless. I wouldn't even watch TV coin sales.

5. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

What I felt they were trying to imply is that if everything goes down the tubes and even our currency hits bottom, you would still be ok if you had enough gold. They are trying to feed off the fears people have of a crash

Richard

6. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

it's not that silly...I mean would you want to buy gold if it could go down to zero... :D

7. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Depends on your tax strategy. :D

8. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Wasn't gold worth zero in the Twilight Zone?? There was an episode where some guys stole a bunch of gold and to escape the cops they went into a cave in the desert and put them selves into suspended animation for 100 years. Of course, they woke up to a future where gold had no value ever since they learned to manufacture it :)

9. AlexN2coins2004

YIKES! :bigeyes: DON'T SAY THAT!!!!! :bigeyes:

10. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Well there have been successful experiments transmuting lead into gold and other experiments converting mercury into gold, but the expense in doing so far outweighs the value of the gold that is manufactured. Of course, someday gold prices may rise high enough or those manfuacturing costs may come down enough to make it worthwhile. :)

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I supposed, if you were in the middle of the ocean in a sinking boat, it wouldn't be worth much.

12. tauferners

tauferners On a quest for knowledge

The only way gold could be down to zero, is if that was the demand for it..zero..nobody wanted the stuff. The true value of anything is what another is willing to pay for it. As long as ther is demand, someone will supply, and trade will commence. To put it in the simplest terms.

13. AlexN2coins2004

how much?

14. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/nelson2_7.html

Looks like it cost $60k to make $1 of gold from mercury in 1924. Maybe the cost has come down a bit?? I know the gold price has gone up since then.

15. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Here's something to ponder though.

Say if they were able to do this. Wouldn't todays gold coins, things that we know are genuinely gold, and stamped with a date, still have high value.

Think here: Would you rather own a 2009 AGE that you know is real gold, or some manufactured crap?

I'm for the former.

stainless

16. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

There are lots of manufactured gemstones that are available on the market and the prices of the real thing still go for a premium, but I believe the overall price of the real thing has dropped because of the availability of synthetics.

17. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

True, and that may be because some gems are hard to know whether they are real or synthetic (Citrine, for example). However, I think coins may be different. They have the dates on them and such. I know we are talking the price of gold here, but from a numismatic standpoint, I think the value of the coins would still be up because it isn't in the era of manufactered gold, unlike gemstones.

Not trying to argue, lol..

stainless

PS: I am too lazy to read your link, but would this manufactured gold be exactly the same as gold? IE, can you use it the same as you would for industrial purposes and such?

18. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

I'm no chemist or physicist, but I'm pretty sure that manufacturing gold will always be prohibitively difficult, because the energy and effort required to convert one element into another by changing the atomic nucleus is a lot more involved than simply converting chemical compounds into other compounds....

19. Billincolo

Billincolo Senior Member

I stand by my original statement, that this is the stupidest comment an investment sales pitch could make.

Imagine this conversation:

Joe: "Here, buy my AGE's for $1150. each."
    Bill: "But I've heard gold is $1009.60 as of Friday afternoon." (9/18/09)
    Joe: "Yeah, but it's never been worth zero."
    Bill: "Well it's already worth less than you want for it."
    Joe: "Yeah, but it's never been worth zero."
    Bill: "What's that got to do with anything?"
    Joe: "Well, you'll never lose your WHOLE investment!"
    Bill: "So you're saying it's okay if I lose twenty percent if I don't lose it all?"
    Joe: "Yeah! That's it! It's never been worth zero!"
    Bill: "Go buy a bridge ... and jump off of it."

... and on and on. I apparently don't make allowance for stupid admen who make up what they think is a good sales pitch and can't see how dumb it is. Maybe it's just me.

By the way, I have a nice 1996 Mercury Sable for sale that's never been worth zero, just in case anybody is interested ...

20. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

You are correct. It is outright stupidity. Nobody should base their investment strategy around finding things that will never be worth zero. And just because something can never be worth zero doesn't make it a worthwhile investment.

Draft saved Draft deleted