Gold commemorative - San Francisco

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by danisanub, Aug 27, 2009.

1. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've heard o' guys picking these coins up in the aftermarket for less than the mint issue price Dani. I purchased them directly from the mint for their classic style.....

5. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Yeah I was thinking I might be able to get a better price at the Philadelphia coin show, if the price of gold holds of course

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

There is currently a fad where folks think that .999 gold is somehow superior to .90 gold. This is nonsense. This particular gold commem is one of the nicer ones in my opinion. I've never seen one sell for melt. They always seem to have some premium.

7. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

That's true, there really isn't that much of a difference, unless I ever need to melt it (which I never would)

8. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Bottom line is that it still is a 1/4 oz of gold. So figure what a 1/4oz of gold is going for on the market and that should be your baseline price. If you get it for less then you did good. If you get it for more, but for less than issue price, you still still well.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

I particularly like these coins. They have simple unpretentious designs. They seem readily available at decent prices. I also see graded ones selling on Teletrade pretty regularly. These first two are PCGS MS69 grade that just sold on Sunday 8/30:

[FONT=geneva,arial]Modern Gold Commemorative 2006S San Francisco Old Mint $5 PCGS 69[/FONT] $230

[FONT=geneva,arial]Modern Gold Commemorative 2006S San Francisco Old Mint $5 PCGS 69[/FONT] $240

This is an upcoming auction on Monday, September 7th 2009 for a MS70 registry:
    [FONT=geneva,arial]Modern Gold Commemorative 2006S San Francisco Old Mint $5 PCGS 70[/FONT]

Below are some other past TT auctions that demonstrate the premiums Registry grades have realised in the past year at MS70:

[FONT=geneva,arial]Nov 23 2008 [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=geneva,arial]Modern Gold Commemorative 2006S San Francisco Old Mint $5 PCGS 70[​IMG] [/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial]$489* [/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial]

Nov 2 2008
    [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=geneva,arial]Modern Gold Commemorative 2006S San Francisco Old Mint $5 PCGS 70[​IMG] [/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial]$368* [/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial]

Oct 19 2008
    [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=geneva,arial]Modern Gold Commemorative 2006S San Francisco Old Mint $5 PCGS 70[​IMG] [/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial]$460* [/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial]

Sep 21 2008
    [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=geneva,arial]Modern Gold Commemorative 2006S San Francisco Old Mint $5 PCGS 70[​IMG] [/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial]$345* [/FONT]

10. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Well there you go for an idea of some prices. Those are all slabbed. I bet you can find one for a little less that is still raw. Maybe Krispy can help you do a search on ebay and post what he finds. Thank Chris for the help.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

I definitely agree that you can find the raw examples of these for less if you watch and wait, esp if you want the original box and COA. You might even get slabbed coins off eBay auctions for better prices than the those on TT that I dug up for you.

I personally avoid buying coins on eBay, raw or slabbed. It's just too much work and worry to deal with anymore. I am willing to pay the premiums that TT and HA type auction houses add to the final price for the professionalism and guarantee behind their coins. I don't want to pay a lot of premium, so it's hard to win auctions on those sites sometimes when you bid low. These premiums also do not bother me since I buy this kind of coin, MS or PR, slabbed for aesthetic and/or collector reasons.

I prefer to deal with raw bullion from bullion dealers, again, not eBay, and am willing to pay the extra over spot due to the service and guarantees provided by those dealers. If they are selling commems as raw bullion, I'd feel more confident buying those or the standard ASEs, AGEs, etc. from such dealers.

just some of my thoughts...

12. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

The mint released 44,000 of those in proof and 17,500 in unc. which are middle mintages compared to other coins in that series. 44,000 is a lot for the proof, that will be spot for many years is my guess.

13. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I just love the reverses on these. :smile

Attached Files:

14. krispy

krispy krispy

You do have an affinity for eagles in gold coin designs and a collection to match given your albums on CT!

This eagle is fashioned on the Liberty head gold $10 eagles from 1866-1907 and $5 half eagles from 1866-1908. The other earlier varieties of those old gold coins didn't have the motto. I know the design predates these as well, but I think the SF Old Mint earthquake and fire commemorative is closer in reproduction to those noted above. Anything else of note I missed in the design?

15. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Well I ended up getting one for 246$, which I'm happy with (also considering there was a huge jump in prices today, that makes me happy!). It is raw and comes the box with the COA. I'll post pics when I receive it

16. krispy

krispy krispy

good job! and good timing... can't wait to see it when you can show off the new piece.

17. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Yeah I'm pretty excited too! I also got 10 1-oz silver bars for 159$, and that was on sunday when silver was like 14.75. If it goes to 15.90 tomorrow then I already broke even.

I love bullion <3

18. green18

I believe that's pretty close to the original issue price....great pick-em-up. :thumb:

19. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Awesome! What sold me is the box and coa, it'll go nicely with my proof ASE's. Slabs are like coffins on these coins, I can't stand them!

I think I'll get a higher resell value, even if I tried to sell it tomorrow, but I'll probably keep it as a collectors piece anyway

20. green18

Couldn't o' said it better......:smile

21. ahearn

ahearn Member

It's a beautiful coin. Buy it because you like it, not because you think it's a good investment or that you will want to sell it soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted