Gold coins in cuff links.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by georgiansilver, Nov 30, 2008.

1. georgiansilver

georgiansilver Senior Member

Hi Folks.
    I recently acquired a pair of 18 carat gold cuff links which contain what I am told are a pair of Venezualan 22 carat gold coins. The coins differ inasmuch as there are two differing Indian heads ... one on each coin. They both have 'CACIQUES DE VENEZUELA' on the front and one has 'URIMARE' under the head... the other 'GUAICAIPURO' under the head. On the backs they again have 'CACIQUES DE VENEZUELA' 'ley' over '900' under which there apper to be initials LC in italics. Around the bottom at the back it says....something(can't see all the word because of the cross piece,) ending in TER-CHANGE BANK SU.... something. Hope this is a good enough description for someone to tell me what I have and perhaps values.( Also see photos, which are the best I can get) Thanks and Best wishes, Mike.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't think they are really coins to begin with. And since they have been turned into jewelry the value would be the weight of the gold only.

4. georgiansilver

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It tells you the weight anyway and confirms what I suspected - that they are not coins. Looks like some sort of series put out by a bank.

6. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Here's pictures of a complete "coin" from the same series of .900 fine gold pieces honoring Venezuelan native chieftains.

[​IMG][​IMG]

About all that I have been able to find out is that the series was produced in the 1950s, with various chieftain's portraits, weighing 1.5g which puts their AGW at .04347 oz., worth ~$35.

Considering that
    • They have no stated denomination
    • Krause lists them in "Unusual World Coins" instead of the Standard Catalog
    • They specify their gold content; and
    • A Swiss bank is named on the reverse
    they appear to have been a private non-monetary bullion issue by the Interchange Bank of Switzerland.

Of course, Doug is absolutely right about value; although if you had the complete set (possibly consisting of 24 pieces) a collector of Venezuelan historical artifacts might pay more.

Heritage did sell one a couple of years ago, but I haven't figured out how to check the hammer price on their website. Maybe someone else can help out on that.

7. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

$77.68 including buyer's premium.

8. georgiansilver

Thank you so much for the rapid replies... The overall weight of these cuff links is 12.9 grams of which 9.9 grams is 18ct gold and 3 grams the coins.....so I guess I should get over £150 ($230) for them on Ebay...... Thank you again for your help... so glad I found this forum... loads to learn and good help here. Best wishes, Mike.

9. Greyford

Greyford Senior Member

To get the hammer price on Heritage you have to register as a buyer (which is free) and log in. Hope that helps.

10. goldfanatic

goldfanatic New Member

I have recently acquired a Urimare Proof example. (.0680oz 2.35g) from Clark Smith for $73. I will post a photo soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted