gold coin investing

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mgChevelle, May 16, 2009.

1. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

my father wants to put some gold gold away. and since i collect coins we decided that we would want it in the form of coin, like eagles, 1/2 eagles, or 1/4 eagles. We want them as close to spot as possible. ive been looking at online stores but im not seeing what i want. my question to you is what is the best way to go about this. would a coin shop have this? thank you.

mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

4. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Senior Member

gainsevillecoins
    CNI
    tulving

check them out also

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I think gold commems have lower premiums over spot.

6. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

thanks a bunch guys.
    we might go with commems, but im not sure yet.

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

common date Lib $20 if the funds are available. to me more pleaseing then the AGE's and don't bring a premium. 5's and 10's Lib common's can still be had near melt if you watch for them

8. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Junior Member

I noticed the same thing. With the current economy and fears of inflation, I'm seeing a 15% or more premium on bullion. Proofs and Panda's are selling for 25% over spot. Modern gold commemoratives seem to have a lower premium.

What are the rest of you seeing?

9. Billincolo

Billincolo Senior Member

I've found Bullion Direct to have the best prices on '09 Gold Eagles -- about $10 less than Apmex. I've dealt with them and haven't had any problems.

10. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Junior Member

Thanks Bill.

Their prices look pretty good. I see that they also sell francs. Francs and sovereigns, are another affordable way to accumulate gold. Plus it's a little more interesting than collecting bullion.

11. coinbuff

coinbuff Senior Member

Keep your eye on APMEX site - I have purchased $5 and $10 US modern gold commems from them a few times. They frequently have some good deals on them.
    Also check their "clearance" section - once in a while there are some good deals there, too.

12. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

If you buy "classic" gold (i.e. pre-1933) near spot, the coins will always be near spot. Might as well invest in bullion; it behaves the same.

If you like the collector side of it, and appreciate a great coin for what it is, might want to consider buying better coins.

$20 Libs MS64 and 65
    $20 Saints MS65 and MS66

$10 Libs MS64 and 65
    $10 Indians MS64 and MS65

The key is never, never, never treat them like commodities. i.e. get in the know on what makes a coin exceptional for the grade and buy the best.

Not all MS65s are created equal !!!!

13. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

It will be hard to buy 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz GAE's near spot. Fractional gold GAE coins will have a higher premium on them than a 1-oz GAE will most of the time. I prefer to buy gold coins locally at a coin dealer or at coin shows. I would check your local area for any coin shops or any coin shows that are coming up in your area. You might be able to get a better price on 1/4 and 1/2 gold eagles at a local coin shop as opposed to buying online.

With that said, APMEX is the best online store IMO.

14. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Gold commems have had smaller premiums over spot than many bullion coins for years. I think it's a good way to accumulate gold. Who knows, someday maybe they will increase in popularity and develop larger numismatic premiums.

Draft saved Draft deleted